1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2004 mim Jazz question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pizmeyre, Apr 20, 2010.

1. pizmeyre

pizmeyre

Apr 19, 2007
    I recently saw a used jazz bass for sale at a local store. It is definitely a MIM jazz and I did a serial number lookup that showed it to be a 2004.

It's a sunburst and has a tortoise shell pick guard but the weird thing is that the truss rod adjuster is at the bottom of the neck and is a Phillips-head type instead of being an Allen wrench socket at the headstock.

What's the deal with this? Were they made that way in '04? Or is it maybe one of those "60s" style Jazz basses?

It's seems in good shape and is going for $399.

Any ideas? Advice?

Thanks,
    -Piz

2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    What you're describing is the standard Fender truss rod adjustment. It's been a very long time--decades--since the truss rod adjuster has been at the headstock on Fender basses. About the only modern Fender basses you'll see with the bullet truss rod adjuster at the headstock are 70's re-issues.

Mike

3. eaaa410

eaaa410

Jun 20, 2008
    New Mexico
    I'm pretty sure that all of the MIM Standard series basses adjust at the headstock with an allen nut surrounded by a plastic insert just above the nut.

4. Stee Flo

Stee Flo

Dec 7, 2007
    VA
    Mexican fender basses have the truss rod adjustment on the headstock. It could be a classic 60's jazz.

5. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Sorry, my mistake then! I'm so used to the truss rod being at the heel on Fenders, I haven't checked recent MIM basses!

:meh:

6. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    My MIM Jazz has it on the headstock. It's a 1994, I believe.

7. pizmeyre

pizmeyre

Apr 19, 2007
    Anybody else?? It's obviously not a standard. Did the make the "60s" Jazz bass in 2004?

-Piz

8. eaaa410

eaaa410

Jun 20, 2008
    New Mexico
    What does the headstock decal look like? Knowing that would help.

9. My 2008 MiM Jazz has no bullet truss rod adjusted at the headstock - only a different color wood patch which covers where it used to go. I believe a truss rod adjustment requires removal of the pick-guard to access the phillips head type adjuster.

10. purpletornado

purpletornado

Aug 5, 2009
    I was going to say, my 02 MIM jazz bass has the truss rod adjustment at the headstock. I was getting confused.