1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2013/2014 Fender American Professional Precision HELP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aaron bernards, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Hey all -

Just purchased a 13 or 14 Am pro p (candy apple red) for $925. Needs a set up - grub screws down, shim the neck, and intonation. Is it worry-some that this posiflex neck needs this kind of work?

Also thinking I should drop in some Fender pv 63's in there. Have heard the V-mods aren't great but I'll have to see for myself when I get it.

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Why would you be concerned when it simply needs a setup? That's entirely normal.

MCF likes this.
  3. I don't know much about the posi neck technology. Curious if it's a warning sign that the neck isn't 100% straight but I guess as long as the truss rod works I'll be okay

4. 2013-2014 you have the Am.Std Precision bass, these came with the Fender Custom Shop pickups not the V Mods,

5. Holy crap! Guitar Center scammed me! hahaha. I wasn't thinking they made the professional series then but that's what it was labeled as. I should ask them for some money back! Those turds.

6. pineweasel

pineweasel

Nov 21, 2003
    I have one of these, it’s a really good Precision. The colour is Mystic Red. The Custom Shop pickup is excellent, no need to replace it. Just set it up using Fender’s guide and you’ll be all set
    How do I set up my bass guitar properly?

RedJag, MCF, aaron bernards and 2 others like this.
  7. You're probably better off with a 2014 American Standard than a Pro I. Be happy about that.

8. Very true my 2014 Am.Std.Precision
    20200924_170311 (3).jpg

9. Sick, I am happier about the pickup for sure. Mystic red looks awesome. Thank you

10. Awesome, you may be right. I think I'll be happy with it! cheers

11. Love olympic white. what would you say the value is on a "good condition" am standard that needs a setup / new strings

12. @aaron bernards, I see GC stores mislabeling basses quite frequently. I think it's much more likely a lack of knowledge on the part of the staff than an attempt to scam anybody.

13. Yeah you're right I agree. I'll probably just ask if they'd set it up for me for mislabeling. Would you say it's worth $925?

14. Not really sure on the American prices i'm afraid, being from the other side of the pond. Check the for sale prices here on TB it will be a good start. Hopefully GC may either refund you some amount as it wasn't a Pro series bass, or change the strings & do a factory setup for you. The necks on these basses with the rolled edges & reinforced rods feel great in the hand you may be surprised, that your bass may just need new strings & a clean up and minor tweaks.

15. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    If You feell that You need that full setup and never had done it before, but want it to do it yourself - be shure that You have the right instruments for adjusting truss rod, changing the action level of strings and pickups and start after Your breakfasts first copy. Also be shure You have a lot of time to do the job right and till the end. If You don't know what to do, the internet will help You at full power. The easiest way is to bring it to Your master, but that will cost You some. Better is to do it Yourself, because sooner or later You will have to do a small or full setup Yourself anyway. Good luck !!!

16. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    If it's a 2013 or 2014 American Standard instead of a 2017 (or newer) American Pro, I think you're probably at least as good, if not better off overall. I have a to die for 2013 Jade Pearl Metallic alder/rosewood Precision and the Fender Custom Shop pickup that came stock on that bad boy is the bomb, IMHO. Whereas I've certainly seen a few posts where the owners of American Pros love those V-Mod pickups, I've also read quite a few posts from people who didn't like them so much. In addition, I didn't really care all that much for the tall frets that come stock on the American Pros.

aaron bernards and Pet Sounds like this.
  17. Yes.

18. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    There's nothing special about "Posiflex" necks other than that they are just regular necks with graphite rods for re-inforcement. According to Fender, the graphite rods reinforce against movement that can occur with fluctuations the environment. Perhaps they help, but they certainly don't prevent it. And it's a good thing that they don't. If you force the wood to not move with environmental fluctuations, the wood will crack or split.

19. great info, thank you!

20. The price seems fair enough, but I think they should have set it up properly for you. I'm a big fan of American Standards, no need to think your should have bought a Pro instead.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021