2013/2014 Fender American Professional Precision HELP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aaron bernards, Nov 8, 2020.

1. And, Fender makes so many slightly different versions of their instruments that even factory guys would have a hard time recognizing, it's no wonder GC or other re-sellers often get it a little wrong. Of course, the only sure way is to consult Fender with a s/n to truly know WHICH model you have on your hands.

Pet Sounds likes this.
  2. I love my 2015 Fender American Standard Precision. It is the perfect workhorse bass.

Shawn Luckman likes this.
  3. Phaidrus

Phaidrus

Oct 25, 2009
    I have both the AmStd and the AmPro Pbasses, both in OW with maple neck and have replaced the pup of the AmStd with the "Original 62" one. Love both of them, the AmStd has a more old school vibe due to the neck and the pup and thus has flatwounds on, the AmPro feels and sounds more modern (I like the V-Mod pup) and has bright roundwounds on. Due to its shape and frets the neck of the AmPro is definitely faster.

Polardog likes this.
  4. sounds awesome. I do like the sound of the am pro '63 neck - but I'm sure i'll be very pleased with the standard. My ideal bass was a black american pro with rosewood / PV 63 pup. will get there at some point!

Phaidrus likes this.
  5. Phaidrus

Phaidrus

Oct 25, 2009
    The AmStd is an excellent Pbass! I love mine and have strung it with Fender 9050L flats for reggae dub basslines. It also sounds super sweet with D'Addario NYXL rounds.

aaron bernards likes this.
  6. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Ok, a few things:
    - posiflex is unfortunately not a silver bullet for neglect or abuse
    - it needs a setup. Easy enough to do, especially on a MIA Fender, and if you don't feel comfortable doing it, any mediocre tech at any guitar shop can do it for you
    - you bought it, without noticing this issue??
    - this doesn't have V-mods, it has Custom Shop '62's in it. They're ok, pretty decent really, I prefer SPB-1's by a long shot.
    - congrats on the hot new bass! Pics please.

7. Harold Runyan

Harold Runyan

Apr 27, 2015
    Ashland, KY
    I had an American Standard Precision Bass for several years. It was made in 2013. I've played and worked on some of the newer ones and a lot of the older ones. I can't imagine having a better PBass for everyday use than the American Standard. Generally speaking, they are great instruments. Some of the older PBasses have a little more coolness factor and play great if they've been reasonably cared for. Lots of folks love the way they play and sound. But to drag from gig to gig, practice and play, the American Standard is fantastic. Nice score. PBasses are generally very easy to set up too. There is a veritable plethora of parts and info available online. My main advice is to be careful with the truss rod and to try different strings before springing for new pickups.

8. Corevalay

Corevalay Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    My opinion, this time period is one of the best for the American Standard line. I've got 3 basses from this era and they're all rock solid. I think you did pretty good at $925 from Guitar Center. It's probably a tad higher than the "street value" but they're usually way higher. That Mystic Red is also hard to find, I've actually been looking for it myself!

aaron bernards and BillMason like this.
  9. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Completely agree! 2012-2017 or so, the ones with the CS62 pickup set.

10. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Suspended Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    It’s just like very other Fender P or J being called a Players series on a lot of the Classifieds like Reverb even tho the basses are pre Player series..:rollno:

11. Awesome. Hey how would you compare it to a 2003 Highway One? What pickups came in those basses? I got offered to buy a red highway one for $700 and wondering if I should save the money and go for that instead. Thanks for your input

12. Thank you for your kind advice! Usually I'm keen on learning guitar tech work myself but all of my equipment is in a storage unit so I may just go to a pro!

13. Awesome. I'll get pics when it ships thursday! Also, was just asking another guy, how do you think a 2013 standard compares to a 2003 highway one? I could take that route and save a couple hundred. Also, I've heard great things about spb-1's and 62's so hopefully I'm happy either way!

14. Corevalay

Corevalay Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    My personal opinion, your American Standard is a much "better" bass. I played a couple American Specials, which is basically the Highway One, and I wasn't feeling them. Your bass has the high-mass bridge, better pickups, doesn't have the Greasebucket system, has graphite rods in the neck, and has a nicer finish. However, that stuff may not matter to you over the $$$, so there's where your decision lies.

aaron bernards and BillMason like this.
  15. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Highway One is basically a MIM Standard, except the tone circuit is different and the pickups are different. Not sure what kind of finish they have on the back of the neck, but I can't stand the greasebucket tone circuit on a P bass, and if someone gave me a Highway One I would replace that right away. Like the MIM standards, they have the regular open back 70's style tuners, and...maybe a Bad Ass II bridge? Not sure. I also hate those bridges. So that's my two bits about that.

The American Standard has rolled fretboard edges, lightweight tuners, very decent pickups (I still have the '62's in mine, but the SPB-1 in another P bass), high mass string-through bridge, CTS pots, and a satin finish on the back of the neck. In my own personal opinion, there is *no better* P neck, unless maybe the Deluxe/Elite/Ultra series. It is very comfy to play for 4 hours, almost a joy for my left hand when I finish the 4th set of the night, versus pretty much anything else. I've owned several, a 1996, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2016, and my current 2014 American P, not to mention several Jazzes, Mexi's, Squiers, and non-Fenders. I am also very impressed with the 2017-current American Pro neck, which is slightly different (63 neck profile and tall frets), but I've only ever played those in stores so can't attest to how comfortable they are in a gig.

Like I said, in my experience the 2012-2016/2017 American Standards are the best Fender has ever made, close second by the 2008-2011 ones which just had a different pickup. The professionals I can't speak to, but I like what I've seen. I'm sure you'll be happy with the CS62 pickup, but if you ever experiment, I can't recommend the SPB-1 enough.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020

16. Alright everyone. she has been shipped. Would love some advice.

First off, I know the MIA's allow you to feed strings through the back. This hi mass bridge has been strung up through there, but is
    1. stringing through the back of the body a better way to go?

2. Can you tell these are the custom shop 62 pups?

3. There is some rust on the frets - is this scary? Maybe it got some condensation when shipping

4. Getting some fret buzz primarily on all strings past the 10th/12th, neck may need adjustment

5. Case is pretty dang beat up, is this still a $925 bass?

Serial: US13089506

Thank you all

Attached Files:

pineweasel likes this.
  17. Awesome to hear thank you for the all the info. I've heard great things about the SPB-1. I've attached some pics and questions if you have any further advice! Cheers

18. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    1. I haven't found it makes any difference at all, but some swear it does. I've used it, I've not used it. Currently not, as I don't like bending flatwounds that way, and with Chromes, the E string wrapping sits on the nut when you string-through.
    2. Not by looking, but if you pop off the pickguard, the wires should be cloth wrapped and there should be a brass plate under the pickups; soldering should be original and clean.
    3. Nope, not scary. You can clean it with a little white vinegar and a little scotchbrite abrasion pad. No biggie - it's probably off the strings.
    4. Yep, no doubt. It's easy enough to do, but honestly - I just get a tech to do it. My regular guy just always does an excellent job. Some people will say I'm not a real man because of that. Oh well. Get some new strings at the same time, and you're good to go.
    5. Case-schmase. :) It's a beautiful bass! I love that colour!. Now to start your P bass pickguard collection. My cases sit in a corner collecting dust. My basses don't sit still long enough for that to be a problem. Play the you-know-what out of that mofo!

19. Awesome. Yeah I'm kind of into the solid backs myself but overall this bass feels light and smooth, classic p tone! I'll unscrew the pick guard later tonight and take a look at the pickups.
    And I will surely get it set up and am currently plugged in right now. Considering flatwound but I'm into the grit and noises from rounds. Really appreciate your feedback!

BillMason likes this.
  20. Now that's a very nice looking bass, my friend! Just give it a good cleaning and a proper setup, and you're all good to go!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021