2013/2014 Fender American Professional Precision HELP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aaron bernards, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Hell yeah. Hey, in the pictures, can you see a little gap between the neck and body? is this a normal sized gap?

2. Hey, in the pictures, can you see a little gap between the neck and body? is this a normal sized gap?

3. I'd say that looks absolutely normal. I've got a 2000 Am.Std P and a 2010 Am.Std J, both have the same sized gap. The fretboard looks like dense, high quality (rose)wood, not all of them are. That does a lot for playability and overall feel of your instrument.
    Like a lot of guys said, a good setup is key. If you're not familiar with doing it yourself, I'd definitely have a pro (or at least someone who's done it a lot of times) do it. Well worth the money.

Not to start a whole new discussion here, but what kind of strings do you use? I've got GHS Precision Flats 40-95 on mine, highly recommend! The tension is just right- not too floppy or too high, they're silky smooth and sound great.

aaron bernards likes this.
  4. Thank you for your input! Neck is very sturdy and the slab rose is very nice. I do fancy the idea of a deeper '63 am pro neck as I have long hands but I'm sure it doesn't make any difference. As far as strings, I've never paid any attention to brands. I do like the grit and natural sounds that round-wounds provide but being a big Elliot Smith (and of course Beatles) I'll surely throw some flats on at some point. I will keep the GHS's in mind!
    Any round suggestions? Also a huge Radiohead // Collin Greenwood fan

Polardog likes this.
  5. I leave the flats on my P, they just fit perfectly. They're never coming off! But I do use rounds on the Jazz, as I think brighter strings do it more justice. I usually use D'Addario XL170 45-100 on that one. If I wanna go really bright, I put on a Rotosound Swing Bass set, but those are stiffer and higher tension, and tend to be tougher on the fingers (and wear out frets faster some say, I've never experienced it myself).

What I would do if I were you, is to figure out which gauge you prefer, and then try different manufacturers. That way you hopefully don't need to tweak the truss rod or adjust the intonation every time you change brands.

There really isn't such a thing as "the best string", what sounds good on my bass could very well sound dull or weak on yours, and vice versa. It has to do with the wood, pickups, string through/top loaded bridge, etc., but that's part of the fun!

Happy hunting, and enjoy!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021