1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2018 Carl Thompson 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Natron5050, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Natron5050

Natron5050

Dec 16, 2018
    Flyover
    I received a new Carl Thompson a couple months ago directly from Carl himself. I thought I'd give a little feedback as I know there's been some communication, good and bad, on how he works and the overall process for building and ordering a custom bass. I'm new here but I've been reading TB for years. I know there isn't many of these around so I thought some of you may want to see one of the more recent instruments.

I'm not going to debate the wait time, lack of choices, and the like. Those topics have already been discussed on TB and I'm not going to reply to any of them. I'm not going to say the price and it's not for sale. I knew what ordering from Carl is like before getting in contact, for me personally I had no issue with his process.

I'm posting here to show a piece of artwork, as a bass playing community we should be proud there are people that put so much time and effort into building the tools we use for our own artwork. Whether we like these CT's, or any other builder/manufacturer, shouldn't be the topic of this thread but rather the appreciation for those that put in the time to take a tree and some metal ore from the ground, and transform it to something like this.

The facings are West African Olive, the core is Spanish cedar. The neck is mahogany. There's ebony accents in a few different places. 2 Dan Armstrong passive pick ups.

Carl is a real gentlemen and the craftsmanship is unbelievable. I've done some basic woodworking, I know how challenging it is to get wood sanded smooth, this feels like human skin when you touch it. The neck is strait and flat, no deadspots or buzzes. For passive electronics the diversity of sounds is great.

I ordered in Oct of 2017, recieved it mid Aug of 2018. Much shorter wait time than many I've heard about. Carl noted it was about 18 months at the time of order, so it came in much earlier. I wasn't prepared for how incredible this bass turned out.

Getting an accurate depiction of the color is a little hard, the main facings are more of a blonde color than I've been able to capture in the photos.

Enjoy.
    CT Back. Ct Front. file1. file2. file3. file4. file5. file6. file7. file8. file9. file-15.

2. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    Oh, my...

3. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I love you man. Thanks for taking the high road.

I have only ever played one Carl Thompson bass in my life, and that was back in 1977 ...but it was the most astonishingly comfortable bass I think I've ever played, to date still. He really has a way of doing wood so that you want to touch it, it feels so good to hold that you just can't stop playing the instrument.

Congrats on your new purchase, here's to many years of making music with that bass.

4. p k

p k Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Hahira, GA
    Beautiful bass! I just recently received one direct as well and couldn't be happier. Play it in good health!

LowEndGroover likes this.
  5. GHOST AT

GHOST AT

May 24, 2011
    Congrats on a beautiful CT and the build time was only 10 months that's wonderful! I haven't followed CT basses in awhile the last time I checked in he had up to a five year build time and wasnt doing custom orders anymore.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  6. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    It's as far removed from something I would buy as anything I could think of but I do see the attraction to someone who is into this kind of bass.

7. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Tats......Sweeeèeeeeeet!

8. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Holy Matilda...!!!

9. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Lakeland, Florida
    That's incredible. Couldn't have selected a better combination of woods. What's the scale length?

10. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Man... I'm gonna be honest -- I think that's the best looking CT I've ever seen. Congrats.

burgerdj and Kevin Wolfe like this.
  11. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Lakeland, Florida
    I think I might have to agree with that!

12. cosmicevan

cosmicevan bleep bloop Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    Phenomenal! Congrats!

If she's 32" I'll trade ya mine for it ;)

13. Natron5050

Natron5050

Dec 16, 2018
    Flyover
    36"

cosmicevan and Kevin Wolfe like this.
  14. That is amazing! If all goes according to plan in 2019, I wish to embark on a Carl Thompson Semi-frills 6-string Lined Fretless with a Hook Scroll.

lol I have a prepared email sitting in my Drafts folder waiting for me to click Send.

cosmicevan likes this.
  15. B
    u
    t
    full!

Thanks for sharing.

16. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Beautiful.

Congratulations :thumbsup:

17. Natron5050

Natron5050

Dec 16, 2018
    Flyover
    Just send it and be done with it. You'll be happy.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  18. Highs&Lows

Highs&Lows Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Europe/Germany
    wow what a beautiful instrument!! congratulations. I can only imagine what this one must feel and sound like.

19. Batman!

Batman!

Oct 29, 2004
    Piece of art. Enjoy!