1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

210 recommendation needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PDGood, Sep 29, 2010.

1. PDGood

PDGood

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I've got an Eden 405 amp powering two Peavey cabinets - each with (1) 15" speaker and a horn. It has all the power, low end and high end I need, but is just OK in the mids. I'm thinking of adding a 2-10 cabinet to add mid punch and tighten up the sound.

I'd welcome recommendations from anyone on a good cabinet. It needs to be 8 ohms and can fit in the back seat of a car (I know that some of the 210s don't qualify).
    I know there are lots of great options over $500 but that's too rich for me. What would be a good 2-10 that I might could find used for under $300?

There's a used Ashdown available for $100. I thought those were high end cabinets but research shows that this is their economy line and had mixed reviews. New they are $250. Anyone know about this model?

Thanks in advance.

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Uh.... 3 cabs...

Be very careful matching your impedance...

As for a used Ashdown 2x10 for $100 - - why not, that's chump change, though I don't much like Ashdown cabs...

3. PDGood

PDGood

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I was just going to replace one of the fifteens in the rig with the 2 10s. (Although I can go down to 2 ohms - I just don't like to push it.)

4. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    I have never been impressed with Ashdown products (YMMV).

And as for the idea of adding a 2x10 to increase the mids, there is no correlation between what size speakers a cab has and its frequency response. I suggest reading some of the TB posts on the various cabs, and go from there.

5. I just went in the opposite direction. I had the 10's but needed more bottom. I use a Peavey Nitrobass head through the Peavey 210 TVX (about $350 new, but easy $200 or less used). It's a great cab. It's has attenuator for the horn for a little customization for your tone. I usually set it and forget it, but occasionally it comes in handy, if I need to switch between a brighter jazzier tone to a more rockin' fuzzy sound. It is a 4ohm cab though, so I'm not sure what the impedance on your 15 is, but if you can get a 2 ohm load it wont be much of a problem. It has paired up nicely with the 115BVX (which is actually and 8ohm cab) I picked up. I still have all the punch and tone for days, but it's like those punchy notes got wrapped up in a blanket of low end warmth. I couldn't be happier with my sound.

6. tsunami1052

tsunami1052 What the Funk?

Sep 13, 2005
    Wyoming
  7. witchbass

witchbass

Oct 24, 2009
    ive got the markbass 102p and 102hf and i just love the tone coming out of these things, i chose them over eden, tc electronics, swr, ashdown, gk etc and there bloody light as well but thats just IMO

8. nobodysfool

nobodysfool

Apr 22, 2010
    Shelby, OH
    Anyone have experience with Carvin 2x10's?

9. WannaJazz

WannaJazz Supporting Member

May 7, 2010
    EDEN 210 XLT? I haven't played one, they are supposed to have a mid hump that you are looking for. I do have an EDEN 210XST and I fooking love it! Lotta bottom, smooth mids, clear highs.

10. I do and I really like them. I have experience with the older RL series (before the BR series) which were ported.
    When I had a 2x10/1x15 rig, It was probably the best sounding setup I ever had.

The BR series 2x10 and 4x10 are sealed cabinets. Others on this forum who do have the BR cabinets also say good things. However, it seems the BRX Neo series is the way to go when talking about Carvin Cabs...

11. BBEgo

BBEgo

Apr 14, 2010
    Corona, CA
    Mixing cabs (especially different brands) never sounds good to me.
    Find a cabinet that sounds good to you on its own. If you need more volume, buy 2 of 'em. Double the pleasure, double the fun (and double the weight ;) )

12. PDGood

PDGood

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I've heard the Eden and it's impressive - just not sure it will fit in a car.

I have no problems mixing cabs. As mentioned, I have two of them anyway, but two fifteens will not have the same sound as 1 fifteen and a pair of tens.

Due to the size, I'm starting to think about 1 10".

13. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    I think the 405 goes down to 2 ohm
    chk with Eden
    if that's the case, you can run 4x 8ohm cabs

14. PDGood

PDGood

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    It can run 2 ohms, but there's just no reason to go there.

15. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    For the OP: Have you had an opportunity to try out a 210/115 setup? Lots of folks here run them and like them. I tend to feel that it is a good idea to keep speaker sizes consistent, so that you aren't pushing one cabinet overly hard (a potential problem with adding a 210 to your current 15). I realize that you are on a realtively modest budget; however, you may occasionally find a 15" cabinet with a mid-driver for sale in the classifieds for a bit more than you currently want to spend. Alternately, you may be interested in viewing the 'fEARFUL' build threads here, where with a slightly larger cash outlay, you could have a single cabinet solution to your quest for good bass and noticeable mids. At any rate, best of luck with your hunt.

16. PDGood

PDGood

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Great post, Anthbass. Many thanks.
    I've only tried the 10/15 combination in a store and it was a 410 cab + 115 which I really loved. But I'm looking to reduce size so 210s seems logical. I have a box built for me by an electronics guru so that I can reduce volume of either cabinet as necessary.

The do it yourself stuff looks fabulous. The headcase is the only option that would fit my desire to reduce size and I may look into that. But the idea of 210s is that it can be used by itself for rehearsal or with the 15 for a gig.

17. DrPieZon

DrPieZon

Nov 16, 2007
    Nashua, NH
    I just want to echo others statements that just looking at a specific speaker configuration will not necessarily get you the sound you're after. I run an Eden WT-400 into an Eden D-210T and D-115T. For me, my 115 has much more mid presence, throaty mids, that just aren't there in the 210. If you can find a used Eden D-115, I highly recommend it. You may also want to look at the Bag End 115 cabs, which are well known for their mid-presence and nice pairing with Eden heads. Good luck.

18. PDGood

PDGood

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    What do you think about the Eden 210 XLT?

I do realize that I'll need to try out whatever I buy in advance.

Also, I didn't mention it in this thread because of the title, but I'm also considering some things like the Catalinbread unit that warm the sound on the front end. I'm open to suggestions along those lines too.

19. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    +1 on the Eden D210XST's. I play through a stacked pair of those cabs, and I find that I am able to get smooth lows, smooths mids, and smooth highs. Very nice cabs!!!

20. PDGood

PDGood

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Did some research to answer my own question. Played through a Markbass 102P traveler which sounded very tight and focused. Fits all the criteria except is pretty darn expensive. I even thought it had nice bottom end until....
    I tried an Ampeg 410. I know I'm not looking for 410s, but they only had a few cabinets with 10s to try out so I figured it was worth a listen. The Ampeg was amazing. It could easily have been used for a primary cabinet. (I just plan to use 10s for a supplement to my 15s.) It was a huge sounding cabinet with everything from deep lows to nice upper mids. Of course, upon inspection I discovered that it was a VERY deep cabinet (size wise) and would not fit in any sedan. I walked away thinking that if I were still gigging for a living and traveling in vans it would be a cabinet to have. Very impressive, but not what I need today.
    The only other 10" cabinet available to try out was the Acoustic Neo 410. These are on sale now for incredibly cheap (around $250) and include the ultra light weight speakers. Seemed worth testing out, but turned out to be a dud. Sounded mushy - not punchy at all, no definition. Just to get a sense of comparison, I plugged into the Acoustic 115 Neo right next to it and that was brighter and deeper and by far a better cabinet. That just confirmed what I already knew - this cabinet is not worth considering.

Conclusion: Comparing cabinets side by side is the best way to go. You need a reference. If I find something I really like I'll take my 15 in and play them side by side and make sure the 10s are indeed adding the punch needed. (So much for ordering online).

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021