215 replacement speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jmann, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    I have an old kustom 215 cab that i got in a pawn shop. The speakers were not the stock speakers they were some off brand rated 50 watts. I am going to replace the old blown speakers & put it to use, because it has been collecting dust.

I am getting a 300 watt head in the near future & want to know if it would be safe to use 2 eminince delta 15a's (rated at 400 watts). will running 300 watts to a 400 watt speaker damage anything? if it will can you sugguest a cheap decent sounding 15 that is 300 watts?
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Definitely "safe", but the eminence drivers might not be well suited to the dimensions and port tuning of that cab. You'll know how it sounds once they're in there and you fire it up. ;)
  3. I put Eminence Delta 15's in my old Kustom 2x15. They did just fine, even running with the Kustom head which only puts out 125 watts. Running with 300 watts ought to do good, i've run this cab with 250 watts and it works well.

So go for it and gig.
  4. Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky

thanks guys
  5. But I should've added, I like a warm, old-school sound, which is exactly what I got with this setup. If you want bright, hi-fi sound. you WON'T be real happy with the old Kustom cab, IMHO. I think the tuck-and-roll may cut out some upper-mids and highs that would radiate from the sides of the cabinet.

For old classoc rock, this works perfect for me though.
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    What are the dimensons of the cab? Lets do the math......