1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

250$ SX body deal!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LCW, Apr 26, 2009.

1. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
  2. Maybe you can ask him, since he's a regular on Talk Bass. :p

Buzzards does great work, though.

3. $30 worth of upgrades isn't worth that much I'd say.

4. $430 for a $90 bass with $20 of replacement parts? Even if he does do great work that seems bounding on ridiculous.

5. bfc

bfc

Feb 15, 2008
    Fenton, MO
    +1

6. ............................:rollno: :scowl:

7. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    What a crock. I pity the fool that wins those auctions.

PityTheFool.

8. seamus bass

seamus bass

Oct 23, 2007
    my house
    bass isnt even active and the neck just rosewood, besides body looks a little beat as well. great work is outshined by bad salesmanship

9. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    I'm not sure where you guys are pulling the $20 of replacement parts from. The straplocks would be $20, the pots and things would be $25, copper shielding about $10 maybe. Then another $25 for the bridge upgrade, $10 for the string retainer.

That's at least $90 in parts. I imagine most people here would just assume do those types of mods themselves. But for those that don't, the labor charge on such upgrades isn't much different than you'd pay at a shop.

As for the neck, having a full fret leveling/crowning/polishing job is going to run you $100 almost anywhere. And then you also get your choice of nuts, board radius, etc with it too. I've had 3 of my bass necks worked on by Brian and it's well worth it.

I don't think $430 is that unreasonable for a bass that probably plays damn near perfect. Considering people shell out $600 for MIM Fenders that play like crapola all the time. Perhaps selling a bass that's been upgraded and including labor costs isn't ideal for eBay, but I don't doubt that thing plays nice.

Being a repeat customer though, I paid less than the cost of that body to get all this done, including the initial bass cost :D
    http://www.buzzardsbass.com/workshop/clients/dave-h/sx-sjb-62-blk.html

10. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

It's definitely not worth it. Maybe $125, but that's about it.

11. That's if you buy retail. If you have a business, you get wholesale pricing which is a LOT less.

12. Where do you buy strap locks for 20$ (HUGE rip off), our local music shop has them going (dunlops) for $4.99 :confused:

13. El Davino

El Davino

Mar 17, 2009
    Martin, TN
    Please post the contact information for "our local music shop" as I would love to purchase 5 sets of straplocks and I am sure that the other members too will take advantage of this deal since it seems to be below dealer cost.

Thanks.

14. He's not putting strap locks on, only the buttons.

SX SJB Alder Body $0.00
    Copper Foil Shielding About $3.00 worth will do a Jazz
    Two SX Jazz Pickups $0.00 Stock parts
    Pots $2.20 each at the local electonics supply
    Orange cap $0.90 at the same place if you buy only one.
    OEM Deluxe High Mass Chrome Bridge He sells them for $22, probably pays half that or less.
    Straplock buttons Buttons only, which he sells for $5, so half that.

So, roughly $20 to $30. Nowhere near $90. But whatever.

15. I've rebuilt and modded a LOT of guitars over the years, truth be told. they are NEVER worth the work. PERIOD

To quote an identical situation... a buddy buys a $99 squire guitar. it sucks, has terrible frets, noisy wiring. body wise, Buzzard has added $30 worth of electrical components. but taken the time to wire it. Neck wise, the SX, much like the squire from the same factory has a few bad frets, needs some reseating and a full dress.

THe work is NEVER cheap to get done, Someone paying a tech would pay a SH!tload of labour... but when all is said and done, they trade in the guitar a year later, and the store offers them based on what that model sells for... the same goes privately. It's damn hard to convince someone that the work you did exceeds the cost of the instrument. even though it does a lot of the time. WHen i do work for people, idon't like to exceed the "value" of the instrument, otherwise cash up front.

How many warmoth guitars have i built for customers for $1200+ in parts an labour, and a few years later they have a hard time getting $400 for it.

16. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    woah i did not know this thread would cause so much conflict. I just was pointing out in my opinion its a rip off, i didnt know if he was from TB or not eithier way its still not right.

17. Oh this is gonna get good. :D

My opinion is it's overpriced. I also think Carl Thompsons and Ritters are ridiculously overpriced however. :D

18. Mellow D

Mellow D

Apr 7, 2009
    Norway, Oslo
    if he's done a good job with the fretting etc i'd say it's not all bad, still thow the "upgrades" don't even seem worth mentioning..

The neck: worth it maybe..

the body: not even close...

19. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Where can you buy copper shielding for $3.00? I would love to buy a lot for that price. A Jazz wiring kit the cheapest I've seen for all the pots and everything is about $18 at basspartresource.

The straplock buttons, you're right it's not $20 if it's just the buttons.

The bridge is over $20 by itself, it doesn't matter what he gets them for, it matters what YOU can get it for as a consumer, not a retailer.

If you were to purchase all said parts, you'd pay a lot more than $30 for them. That's what I'm pricing, not what he paid, since I don't actually know. Seeing as he's running a business, I'm sure it would be worthwhile for him to do all that and charge you cost on all of it. Sounds like a great way to make a living.

If you think it's a ripoff, don't buy it. But his pricing isn't quite as far out there as some make it to be, that's all I'm saying. I think the body is more than anyone would pay for it, but the neck isn't so far off considering what's done to it.

20. He has a shop, I assume he is managing to sell them. So why the hell not? There is clearly a market there and where is the harm in making a bit of cash, especially with the current economic situation.