Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2ohms load on walkabout ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by danhorne, Aug 26, 2004.

1. I remember reading about how the Walkabout could possibly handle a 2ohms impedance load pushing 600 watts (if i remember correctly). I wanted to know if any walkabout owners checked up on that and gave it a try? Or if this idea has since been shot down. any news about this? thanks,

/Dan

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It's not official, but word around the factory is that it will handle a two ohm load without any problems. We've been torture testing one for a while now, and it barely even heats up. I think it's safe to say you can run it at 2 ohms every once in a while.

3. thanks ben, has anyone else done this with their walkabout?

4. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Yep. I have a 4ohm Scout extension cab and it handles it well. :bassist:

5. Humblerumble, is your walkabout about a 4ohms with a 4ohms extension, or a 8ohms with a 4ohms extension?

6. I am playing two 4 ohm Schroeders through it and it holds up wonderfully :D

7. got about 20 hours on my four ohmn scout using a 8 ohmn ext (2x1o powerhouse) with no problems or excessive heat

8. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    My Scout is the 4ohm version with the 4ohm Scout extension cab.

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have used mine to drive a 2.67 load for extended band practices, and have occassionally driven a 2 ohm load. No problems. It doesn't get remotely hot.

10. Thanks for you info....

11. I have the 8 Ohm Combo with the 8 Ohm extension cab.
    so fricken loud am not fussed about running at 2 ohms.
    Peace out.

12. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    According to Mesa the Walkabout will not put out 600 watts when run into a 2 ohm load. It's limited to about 300 watts.

I have the 4 ohm Scout model and have occasionally used it with an 8ohm cabinet at pretty high volumes and had no problems, Doesn't seem to distort. I don't think I'd like to do that all the time and for my needs the 4 ohm load works well.

I'm surprised at the headroom this little thing has even at 8 ohms. I've used the head alone a number of times to drive 8 ohm cabinets. It will even drive an Eden 4X1o to ridiculous levels at 8 ohms without amp distortion. One of the most impressive sounds was driving a custom 3 way design using high end RCF compnents (15", 10" and horn) 8 ohms. The amp hardly broke a sweat and would easily play at silly volume levels. It had a very warm sound with all the controls set at nominal flat. I just used a slight cut on the semi-parametric at about 1000 hz due to room anomalies.

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Holy thread resurrections, Batman! :eek:

14. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    Hah. Wow. But now I'm interested. Are there any other amps that can handle a 2 ohm load and "not break a sweat"? Seems with most amps I hear something like "Yes, it's safe to run at a 2 ohm load every now and then."

I now am under the impression that the Walkabout is near indestructible.