2x12" - convert from 8Ohm to 4Ohm for more power?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bennythehenny, Jul 23, 2018.

1. bennythehenny

bennythehenny

Jul 23, 2018
    Hello!

I have a Aguilar DB212 8Ohm which I use with an Aguilar AG500SC. The amp delivers [email protected], so I'm thinking about converting the cab to 4Ohm by replacing the speakers.

The original Aguilar replacement speakers cost 140USD/piece, so the upgrade would cost about 280USD minus whatever I might get for my used (but rather new) speakers.

Do you think I would be worth it?

Thank you!

2. Rumbledore

Rumbledore Inactive

Jun 2, 2018
    peninsula
    hmmm, no. how about putting your $280 toward another DB212 cab?

Ben B, ObsessiveArcher, smogg and 9 others like this.
  3. Almost $300 to gain 3db at best.

Nope

smogg, St_G, james condino and 6 others like this.
  4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

There is no valid reason to do this and nothing to gain out if it.
    If you have volume issues, get a more powerful amp or a 2nd cab.

smogg, Chef, baxter_x and 4 others like this.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    $280 for 3 dB? No.

smogg, Al Kraft, wave rider and 2 others like this.
  6. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    The volume output will not double doing this. It will just go one notch louder, then you loose the ability to add another identical 8 ohm cab. 2nd cab goes up about two notches, maybe a bit more. I say not worth it. My 2 cents...

7. bennythehenny

bennythehenny

Jul 23, 2018
    Thank you all!

yodedude2 likes this.
  8. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Better off upgrading your amp. Take the money you would have spent on speakers, sell the Aguilar and add that money to it and you can get a Mesa Subway D800 which will deliver all the power those speakers can handle.

9. Rick James

Rick James Inactive

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    That assumes the Aggy can take 500w. It can't. It may be thermally rated for 600w, but it uses a driver similar to the Delta Pro 12-450, which has a mechanical limit at 150w in the 60-80 hz band where excursion demands are highest. A more powerful amp won't make any difference either, for the same reason. Adding a second DB212 is the right move, and he can probably find a used for less than the cost of replacement drivers.

10. bennythehenny

bennythehenny

Jul 23, 2018
    That's interesting. Could you point me to a source that explains the physics of the mechanical limit of [email protected]? I understand the point and it makes perfect sense to me, would just like to read further about it.

Unfortunately, Aguilar cabs are really expensive in Europe, even used (if you happen to find a used one).

11. Hey Benny!
    Got nuthin for ya.
    Just a welcome howdy.

mbelue and triode6L6a like this.
  12. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    What are the ohms of the speakers?
    If they’re 8 ohms currently wired in series, you could wire it in parallel for 4 ohms, no?

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Nope.

OP, if you want to be louder, get another cabinet. No need to spend that much money for an iota and barely noticeable bit of loudness.

smogg, james condino and mcnach like this.
  14. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    A second cab will make you significantly louder on stage and out in the room.

smogg and james condino like this.
  15. No.

It is either two 16 ohm speakers in parallel for 8, or two 4 ohm in series for 8. So re-wiring the current speakers would give 32 or 2 ohms.

mbelue, agedhorse, gepettus and 2 others like this.
  16. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Unless your volume is dimed, just turn it up a wee bit more.

smogg likes this.
  17. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Hey WELCOME to TalkBass!!!!!

Please stick around. I think several posters here may not have realized this was your first post.

There are a lot of misconceptions out there. (I was victim to many of them before came here and learned a TON.)

What they are trying to say (and could have said a bit more nicely *cough*) was this.

Want more volume? In most cases more speaker will take you a lot further than more watts. It takes a TON more wattage to move the ball volume wise. And, generally, by the time you increase the power enough to make a huge difference, you have gone beyond what your speakers can handle anyway.

So, if you want to take full advantage of your really nice head, get another 8 ohm cab just like the one you have. Not only will you take advantage of all the watts, but you'll have twice the speaker surface area to move more air (perceived as "louder".)

Hope that helps in a little more detail.

Stick around. There are more mysteries to unlock here. :D

(There is this magic stuff called "tort" that sparks outrage in some, but causes feelings of passion and warmth in others..... and mostly only works on bass players. :wideyed: )

18. Rick James

Rick James Inactive

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    It's a bit beyond the scope of a forum post. But you can see it in the charts for the Delta Pro 12-450.
    http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Delta_Pro_12_450A_cab.pdf

All of the cab designs have a chart for maximum input power. You can see how it drops like a cliff in the lows, where the cone runs out of excursion. There's a chart for excursion/displacement too, and you can see how that goes up as frequency goes down. It's safe to use as much power as it takes to reach xmax, but anything more than that doesn't give more volume, it just creates more heat in the voice coil, and that eventually causes driver failure. If you manage to hit xmech driver failure isn't eventual, it's instantaneous.

19. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Gold Supporting Member

Welcome to the circus... More speakers will move more air. Get a 2nd cab my .02

smogg and BassmanPaul like this.
  20. I see it from another perspective. Folk talk bout 9v onboard preamps vs 18v. While it is not always the case? You get more "headroom" running 18v. Bout 3dB. About double the power. To get 3dB more output, you have to double power. Conversely, if you go to four ohm, it gets you 3dB more output. In other words, makes your amp sound, act, twice as powerful. For instance? I see it like this... I'm on a stage. The volume requirements are a certain dB level. I can reach that dB level with a myriad of amps, power levels, etc. Crank a 100w amp, or barely turn up a 1000w amp. I can crank 250w. Or turn up a 500w amp to a reasonable level, to achieve the same output. Maybe "louder" isn't your goal. Maybe the feel of the amp on a stage is less than you desire. Well? I can tell you from experience that my amps at 8 and 4 ohm operation feel very different. I don't need more volume .I want my amp to run at it's most efficient. Get the dB I need, at the lowest possible settings. And the lowest possible load in/out. If a single cab is all ya wanna carry, and you realize potential volume isn't the only factor in seeking tone, a 4 ohm cab has huge benefits. If volume is yer desire? Adding cabs is more efficient. A more visceral change. But if ya want to achieve the same volume and not push yer amp as hard? The 4 ohm solution most certainly is viable. And the subtle differences may slip by some players. But like 18v preamps, sometimes 3dB extra is just what a doctor ordered. For me? In a single cab world? 4 ohm is where it's at. More a feel thing than apparent volume.

HolmeBass, smogg and Passinwind like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021