1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2x15 or 1x15 + 2x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mmbongo, Mar 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I have a bigbutt Peavey 1x15 cabinet at our practice space, but it's not quite enough volume so I'm wanting to add something to it. Don't really need more bottom end, need more volume.

So, what would you add to the 15? Another 15, or a 2x10? I'm leaning towards the 2x10 so it will be up higher and will add some frequencies that the 15 does not. I know how some people feel about mixing driver sizes and all that though...would the 2x10 reach it's limits way before the 1x15? I guess a 4x10 is an option as well if that would be the best way to go by a wide margin.

Eminor3rd and InhumanResource like this.
  2. Robb Fesig

Robb Fesig

Mar 14, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Time to invest in Orville Redenbacher everyone!

3. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I was afraid of that! Everybody shoot me your Paypal and I'll buy the popcorn.

Max Blasto, jp58 and mikeyjm2 like this.
  4. If you can try before you buy you can go to town mixing 210 and 115. That's what I do, as a card carrying member of the mixed driver police even. But buying without trying leaves you open to finding out the hard way why there is the mixed driver police. No guarantee someone else's mix suits your ears.

5. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I do plan on taking my GK 2x10 up there to try it and see how it works. However I won't leave my GK cabs there and whichever cab I get will be a Peavey so it might be worthless to do that test. Maybe I can at least get an idea. Yes, I do have my reasons for wanting a Peavey :)

Hoochie Coochie Man likes this.
  6. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) mmm Woody! Supporting Member

Without going all techno babble on ya,
    Driver size matters less than:
    Cabinet frequency response
    Sensitivity
    Power handling

Assuming 8 ohm black widdow cab?
    Safe bet is a match, or near match to the 15.
    Next would be an 8ohm 2x10.
    If you get a 4x10 , just replace the 15 with it.
    The 410 will have more surface area, will most likely go lower, and possibly higher than the 15 and will be much lowder. (Depending on the particular 410)

I'd try elevation on the 15 first, milk crates are great for this application.

Power distribution is the issue with single driver/multidriver combination rigs.

The 15 will receive 1/2 the power. The multidriver cab :
    210 each driver approximately 1/4 of the total power.
    410 1/8 total power.

I'm in the camp that matched drivers net constantly better results.

That said I run a 112/115 stack.. but they were designed to work together.

If you have the peavey headliner cab, the 210 of that same series sounds really good with the 115 of the series (hint they were designed to)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    MobileHolmes and Scottkarch like this.
  7. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    get a 212 and a 718.

smogg likes this.
  8. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I think it is in fact an 8 ohm Black Widow, it's not a current model for sure. I'd definitely get another 8 ohm cab for sure if I mix them.

Right now the 15 gets 100% of the power of course, and she just can't stands no more! If I add the 210, would each 10" driver getting 1/4 the power be a good thing since they probably will each handle less than the 15, or am I thinking wrong there?

Linnin likes this.
  9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    seriously? as long as you've been around here, you gotta know this already, it seems like you're just trolling for a reaction at this point.

OK, swallowing the bait and giving an earnest answer:

either one would be fine in your practice space, it'll be louder and easier to hear, what the hell else do you need?

for actual superior low end cohesion and overall phase response and all that, a second identical cab will usually sound best, assuming the cab in question is one that actually sounds good.

10. /\/\3phist0

You are on the right track EXCEPT assuming similar sensitivity, of the drivers the 210 will be quieter than the 15. So the 15 will, receiving 1/2 the output power, will always be in more jeapordy than an "equivalant" cab of similar power handling as it will be doing more "work"
    (Dissipating more heat)

I amended my previous post also.

The widows are stout cabs and prevalent and cheap. They are cheap to recone too, so off to Craigslist for you ;)

All that aside, adding a 210 of reasonable pedigree will add to the overall volume, and MAY achieve your goal.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  11. It depends on what the 10's will handle. It seems it would be hard to get mismatched cabs and have them both run in their optimal operating range at the same time without one cab starting to sound bad before the other. Cabinet design affects that as well as driver design. These are some reasons why it is hard to get a good match with dissimilar cabs. Your system is only as good as the weakest link.

12. /\/\3phist0

You could also try using an HPF, cutoff at @35/40 (or higher) and get a fair amount more usable volume out if the cab, by not wasting power having the speaker "trying" to produce low frequencies that are more felt than heard audibly and are barely noticeable when absent.

1stnamebassist likes this.
  13. Fdeck 3 will do what /\/\3phist0 is suggesting. Man it took me a minute to figure out how to spell your user name! I had to search for forwardslash and backslash! But yes, cleaning out the lower frequencies that you cannot hear will give your cab a cleaner sound and the ability to boost the volume with none of that boominess especially in smaller rooms.

14. /\/\3phist0

Yeah sorry, it's an old gamer tag (with a lengthy backstory) I just sold my Fdeck, WONDERFUL useful tool, I used it to "save" small cabs from saturation (far out) when using a high power amp and a low A# . Found it extremely useful, indespensible even. Surprising how much exta volume I could achieve "for free" ;)

I only sold it because the Subway stack is tuned so well, and another TBr in the Netherlands needed one, and could not get one easily.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    1stnamebassist likes this.
  15. I have an FDeck 2 I use with a Kala Ubass as a preamp. Works great. Not as useful for electric bass as the 3 however.

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  16. If you just want more volume and like your sound, double up on your current cab and add an identical 1x15. Minimal phase issues.

That, or step up to a 4x10 or 6x10.

fourteenstrings likes this.
  17. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    If you like the sound of that cab, get another one.

18. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I use a 115 Hydrive with either a 210 XL or 2.5 XL (Hartke) with great success.

I'm not sure whether it's the cone size, or the cabinet designs and frankly, I don't care. I listen with my ears, not my eyes, and that combination sounds great. The crispness of the all aluminum cones of the XLs adds a great top end punch that I love, with the warmer hybrid 15" bringing the roundness.

hintz likes this.
  19. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto

Jan 11, 2016
    Germany
    2x10. had your exact problem (was running a tweeterless 1x15 ampeg portaflex) and added an ampeg 2x10, couldn't be happier. regardless of what tone you're after, which you can of course vary based on pedals, speaker types, etc., 1x15 + 2x10 is IMHO the golden combination for punch across the entire frequency spectrum.

tfer likes this.
  20. It depends on a number of variables. For example, if the 15 and the 210 are both 8 ohms and are rated at about the same wattage it could sound great. One of my best sounding rigs mixed driver sizes - an Avatar 210 sitting on top of an Avatar 212. Both were rated at 500 watts and both were 8 ohms, each receiving half of my amp's output. Good luck.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 14, 2021