Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Aug 3, 2004.

1. righteo, just wondering what a decent 2x15 cab would be, im not after anything boutique or expensive like SWR, just your run of the mill 2x15, average price, that would be good for standalone use...after watching the stu hamm hotlicks video isaw him using an energy 2x15"...can you still get them, ive done a search and come up with nothing
  2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Good luck trying to find a 2x15 here. I know there are alot of Trace Elliot amps scattered all over Australia, so try and find out if they make a 2x15, then hunt it down :)

3. I'm pretty sure that the Trace Elliot model was the 1524 (for their 2 x 15)

Although, their webiste seems to be completely defunct, and the Trace Elliot name no longer appears as one of the Gibson products.....it's hidden away under 'Gibson Labs'
  4. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    If you can get Hartke's in Oz then check out their 215XL cab. Reasonably priced and a great sound! :bassist:
  5. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Heath. You're a Novacastrian, as am I, why don't you check out Argos speakers? I know Andrew personally and he has made me and my band quite a few cabs in the past. There is no doubt in my mind that he could do you up a 2x15 rated at about 900~1100 watts rms (depending on the eminence drivers he uses) at a reasonable cost. I have been using a 1x15 made by him for a bit over a year now and am about to retire it. I can honestly say that I have been rather pleased with its performance in this time, even if it is the fugliest thing I have ever seen, and a tad heavy.
  6. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    I also have to add that the sound from the cab he made me has become "my sound" even if it isn't the best sound, but damn it has character.
  7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if you can find one the older peavey 2x15 cabinets with black widow speakers (they have the aluminum looking dust caps on black paper cones) are great for the buck - just make sure it's not the thin one (about 13" deep), but rather the deeper version (i think that's at least 18" deep)
  8. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    I have a Trace Elliot 1524 on it's way to me this weekend.

I will let you know how it sounds. I will be running a Trace Elliot V6 head through the cab. Should sound great.

I also have a Peavey Bam 2x10 combo that I am going to hook up to the cab. If that combination sounds good, I will be in heaven.

I heard the Bergantino NV 2x15 are kick ass, but a little more cash than you want to spend.

I did a search on Google for the Trace Elliot 1524 2x15. There is a person in Austin, Texas selling one for $400.00 with a cover.

Here is the ad:

Good luck finding a cab.
  9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I don't know if you can find them Down Under, but the best sounding 2x15 that I ever heard was the Mesa Boogie Diesel/RR model. Man, that cab sounds amazing! Truly, one of the most memorable cabs that I have heard, and believe me, I have heard plenty!
  10. Eden 2x15s are amazing if you can find them for a good price. In Australia. :(
  11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I imagine that the Epifani T-215 would rock, too, but I haven't heard them.
  12. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I love the Trace Elliot 1524 cab. It has a very full yet defined sound to it. You can normally pick on up in the $350 to $400 range in excellent condition.

Here is the factory TE weblink to the 1524 cab and if anybody else needs it here is the link to the old TE website
  13. Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    Considering you are in Austrailia, I don't know the availablity of certain equipment to you. So I'll bring up a unlikely option.

If you can't find a 2x15 you're happy with there, if you are handy with any sort of woodworking, you could build a 2x15. One of the most famous 2x15 cabinets ever made was the Sunn 2x15 folded horn. It's a late sixties design. You can find the measurements and some pictures here at the bottom of the page: http://www.richbriere.com/The_Sunn_Shack.htm Build this as a real replica, and I would bet you'd have a rare comodity in Austrailia.

I my own personal opinion about Peavey's 2x15--I would work a lot harder, or pay a lot more money for a 2x15 that wasn't one of theirs. It's just been my experience that black widows are more likely than other speakers to not sound as good as they should when given less than rated power.
  14. ive never heard of them...would be interesting to check them out
  15. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I agree, this cabinet is amazing. The Eden 215XLT, that is.
  16. yeah ive tried a 115xlt? i think...it was great, they're for sale round here for $1500...muso's corner arent getting much eden gear in anymore, the stuff they did have took a while to sell, that 15 has been sitting there for almost 12 months
  17. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX

I've got one of these....the 18" deep one. Damn good cabinet.
  18. Try a Bergantino NV215. Heard lot's of good stuff about them.
  19. ESP Eden

ESP Eden

Feb 9, 2004
    washington mo
  20. Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia

Call Pro Audio here in Canberra ( I know it sounds like I work for them but I don't )....

I think I saw a 2x15 there ( Eminance Loaded ) around 1000w and I'm pretty sure the price was around $1000 IIRC

Brand new box with warranty ( plus they don't gouge you for shipping either ).

Just a thought