Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

3-panel Bibs/Aprons

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Alexi David, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    I'd like to know where I can purchase one - the kind that wraps around the upper bout, from back to front, not the ones that hang on the back only. I've seen them a lot in photos (esp. older photos) and a few times live, but I'm having trouble locating any on the web. And there's no bass shops in this country. Maybe someone on the forum has one for sale? Any help appreciated...

Regards Alexi

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I've got one that's the side and back, but not the front. I really like it, and it doesn't hide my bass.

I found it at Hammond Ashley, but can't find it on their site anymore. Give them a call, I'm sure they still carry them.

3. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    thanks - I had seen it in the past also - I might get that one (if they still carry it). I also wanna see if anyone else makes similar ones. I would like the 2-panel better visually, but 3 would be better as I sometimes sweat a lot when I play, and it drips right there on the upper bout.

BTW, love your MP tailpiece - Mine is in the mail - Claro Walnut 5-string with loopholes for my Christopher

Regards

Alexi

4. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
  5. Know anyone who sews? Make your own.
    Mine's dark brown cordouroy, fastens around the button/ neck root with a tied cord, has elastic sewn into the perimeter on the other three sides. It covers the upper rib, overhangs the top and back about 2 inches, hooks under the top corner of the C bout, the elastic holds it in place just fine.

6. Nick Ara

Nick Ara

Jul 22, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    One of my basses has a bib from David Gage. It's all velvet, elastic on the overlap (back/front). The velvet "tie" fastens with velcro. Looks great, albeit a bit "formal" for most casual gigs. It's the same one Ron Carter has been using for years and years on his Juzek.

Kolstein makes one as well, but it covers the side only. It has a "pocket", presumably for a notepad, setlist, etc. His is velvet with a silk lining. VERY DRESSY.

Of course, you can make one yourself. I think both of the bibs I've mentioned above sell for around $35.

7. I have the one sold by Hammond Ashley; I got it from them a few years ago. It's dark blue corduroy with purple velvet inside... (!) But it's quite nice. It's made by a company called 'Strata'. Oh and Hammond Ashley's site is www.bassviolins.com

8. bassbaterie

bassbaterie

Dec 14, 2003
    Houston Texas
    Director, Quantum Bass Center
    I got some really nice black suede-looking upholstery fabric from Hancock Fabrics and made a seat cover for my bass stool (with a nice little accessory pocket for pencil/rosin so's I don't have to throw it on the floor any more). Getting ready to make a matching bass bib from the same fabric. I've made them a few times before. The sewing part really isn't that hard so once I get it done I'll post some notes on how to make a pattern and assemble it. Would that help anybody?:cool:

sdclay likes this.
  9. That would be cool; I'd like to make one from some psycadelic material. I used to have one I made from a rabbit fur; I strung it up with some heavy hemp cord. Pretty cool.