1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

300$ amp head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by twany03, Oct 18, 2006.

1. twany03

twany03

May 28, 2006
    Hey,

I currently have an Ampeg 1x15 cabinet, and am looking for an amp head to go with it. I play classic rock, and am looking for overdriven tones. I also like to run some effects (distortion, a little fuzz, chorus). I need about 200W-300W in a 300$ price range. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
  3. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    save up $50 more and get a Yamaha BBT500H!

4. ogrossman

ogrossman

May 20, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    If you're looking for used check out a Gallien and Krueger 400RB. I had a 400RB-115 combo that I paid $360 for and it was great. They're around 280 W @4 ohms.

5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Ditto!

6. +1. Good stuff, especially per dollar!

7. saxofunk

saxofunk

Jul 25, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Used SWR Workingman's 4004.

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Used Peavey FireBass or Max 450.

9. Sounds like an old Sunn solidstate head would be awesome for what your looking, great distorted classic rock tones at about 200 watts, you can probably find a sunn concert head on ebay for between 250 and 300. I love mine, but ill probably be upgrading to a model T soon.

10. Sounds like an old Sunn solidstate head would be awesome for what your looking, great distorted classic rock tones at about 200 watts, you can probably find a sunn concert head on ebay for between 250 and 300. I love mine, but ill probably be upgrading to a model T soon.

11. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Used GK 800rb or 400rb would be a good way to go... Used Peavey Firebass, Nitrobass, Mark series amp would probably do the trick in your price range, too...

If there are any music shops in your town, hit them up and see what you like. It'll make a lot easier to keep your eye out for a deal when you know what you're looking for. Best of luck.

12. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    New-Check out the Yamaha BBT500. They are $50.00 more than you want to spend but will do exactly what you are describing. $349.00 everywere.

Used-Peavey Firebass or Max.

13. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    +1 on the Yamaha ... check around, there are a few used ones out there for your price ...

14. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

+1

15. twany03

twany03

May 28, 2006
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try to go to the closest music store when i can.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021