1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

$300 for SX - too much??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jamesemt, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Jamesemt

Jamesemt

Jan 6, 2006
    Hull, UK
    After reading so many positive comments about these basses, I decided to have a look for them here in the UK.

There are a 3 different colour precisions which are rebranded as Jim Deacons and cost about $170 which over here is considered very cheap for a bass. Trouble is, they look absolutely horrid.

I've found Waltons in Ireland who will ship to the UK, but their prices are really high.

My question is, do you think this guitar:

http://waltons.ie/waltonsshop/product_info.php?products_id=1283

is worth the best part of $300? It has got a maple neck.

2. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I would have definitely paid 300$ for my SX, It is one of my favorite basses to play!

3. G'Day, Hull...I've been there...back in March of 2000 I spent several weeks working on a cogen project at the BP plant...(long before I moved to Australia from the states)

anyway $300 is awefully steep for an SX...but here in Aus, you can't touch an SX for less than that.

For that price range, why don't you check out Vintage basses from down south....by John Hornsby Skews

http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintagebass.html

EJM96Series

4. Jamesemt

Jamesemt

Jan 6, 2006
    Hull, UK
    Hi, lol I live about 2 miles from BP!!!

Anyways, never had anything to do with Vintage? Are they as good as SX?

Oh, and my original comment about the Bass being $300...I reckon it's closer to $350:eek:

5. mmb

mmb

May 15, 2007
    Michigan
    In the US, I wouldn't pay $300 for an SX. At the $300 - $350 price point there are quite a few nice basses from other manufacturers that I'd take over SX. Ibanez, Squier VM, Schecter, Epiphone.

That being said, we seem to get things a bit cheaper here than over in the old country. At $350, I'd take a Schecter over an SX any day.

And my main bass for gigs is a mod'ed SX.

6. i am an irish bass player....waltons are good to work with but...but as you said....EXPENSIVE!!

Who here wants to pay $984 for a MIM Jazz Bass...any takers?

7. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    nah....I wouldn't take it at $350....way too much...

8. Jamesemt

Jamesemt

Jan 6, 2006
    Hull, UK
    It's the maple neck!!

Anyone know of a good P Bass clone that's got a maple fretboard?...for under $400

9. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    hrmmm, get the next guy flying over from the US to help you hand carry a SX over? Think that would actually be cheaper, even if you leave him a nice tip.

10. paulorr

paulorr

Apr 5, 2007
    The US Mail delivers all over the world.

I would find out what shipping would be and go form there. I sold a PRS 6 string guitar to a person in the UK and shipped it from the USA to her. The shipping cost more than made up for the cost of buying one locally. And at that price, I would not insure it for a whole lot.

You could probably buy off Ebay ....

Paul

11. BetterBottomEnd

BetterBottomEnd <- Not me I just like looking at her

Jan 9, 2007
    Cable Wi
    Actually they just changed their postage size limits so that you can no longer ship basses USPS. Now you'd have to use Fedex or UPS or something which runs more in the $150 dollar range.

12. mmb

mmb

May 15, 2007
    Michigan
    Even if you take the neck off?

13. Jamesemt

Jamesemt

Jan 6, 2006
    Hull, UK
    I reckon taking the neck off would be the answer...if only I could find someone in the US with a second hand one...ebay hasn't thrown a lot up so far.

14. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

$300 is way high for an SX. They sell for $150 In the US. But I realize they sell for different prices around the world. Still, $300 seems high. Even if you bought one in the US and had them ship it (providing they ship to your country) it shouldn't cost that much.

15. Jamesemt

Jamesemt

Jan 6, 2006
    Hull, UK
    lol they don't ship to the UK. He did inform me that they now ship to Canada :confused: don't quite know what good that is :)

16. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Different countries have different economic conditions, taxes, laws, etc. But bassists are pretty much the same. The real question is what else can you get in your neighborhood for the same price? If it's nothing but crap, then the SX is certainly worth it.

Here in the U.S., the basses at the same price as an SX from Rondo ($99 for a P to $139 for a 5 String Jazz), are generally crappy. Our next price bracket up ($140 - $225?) does have some good basses in it (OLP, Squier, Brice) but it's wise to try before you buy.

If I had paid $350 for my SX, it would still be a great bass, but I would be annoyed because the same bass is readily available here for $139. There are good basses in the $350 price bracket too. Of course there are exceptions but I personally would need to be in the $700-$1000 range (MusicMan, Peavey) before I would notice major advantages over my SX.

17. Jamesemt

Jamesemt

Jan 6, 2006
    Hull, UK
    I think you've hit the nail on the head. I'm coming back to the bass after 5 years off, and want to be careful exactly what I buy. On saying that, I've got a cousin in Canada...so if I can get him to remove the neck before shipping I'd be sorted :bassist:

Anyone know if it would be practical weight wise? What do you reckon? $60 - $100 for international shipping? Obviously I've got to factor in shipping from Rondo to Canada.

18. BetterBottomEnd

BetterBottomEnd <- Not me I just like looking at her

Jan 9, 2007
    Cable Wi
    Yeah it should still work out to reasonable. With the money you save take it to a luthier and get a nice fret dressing and setup it will be well worth it.

19. Hmm, I just got a bass (in its hardshell case) last week that shipped USPS "parcel post" from New York to Missouri. It wasn't my preferred shipping method, but it arrived safely.

20. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    The changes only affect international shipping.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021