3000 watts not loud enough

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by demon666, Oct 8, 2005.

1. demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    I 'm running an ampeg svp cl preamp into a qsc plx 3002 and its not even loud my svt head is much louder and so is my mesa m pulse 600. I'm using either an ampeg 6x10 or a pair of wayne jones 2x10s It seems like it should be louder then it is i don't need huge outragous volume i figured i could have a lot more headroom and for small shows i could run 1 2x10 at 8 ohms with plenty of power ( they handle like 750w rms each) if anyone has any info on this stuff and could help me out it would by great
  2. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Did you set the amp up right? IIRC the qsc amps have toggle switches on the back that have to be set based on your cab setup.
  3. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Well I dunno what you are talking about.

Anything in my book above 450 watts I think is pretty darn loud.

The only thing I can think of is you have a very different definiton of loud, or the speakers you are useing are very ineficient.

But still an acme is what 97db? and on average 1000 watts is enough to drive a b4. I think you are full of it. Not to mention why would you need 3000 watts anyways?

At most I think I would need would be maybe 700.

Not to mention if you have enough money to get a 3000watt power amp, why not buy some better/more efficient speakers if thats the case?

You got me stumped 3000 watts not loud enough, hah. :rollno:

4. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    You need to read your manual and double check the ohm ratings on your cabs. There is no way 3000 watts isn't loud enough. You must not be getting that much power.
  5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Maybe he has it setup wrong. No need for the 3rd degree.
  6. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Yeah, check the configuration switches in the back, it's probably not set up to run at full blown bridged mono 3000w.

And yeah, XB100, that was uncalled for.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You probably aren't bridging the amp correctly. If you're running an 8-ohm cab, and only out of one side of the amp, you're only getting 450 watts. If you're bridging into 8 ohms, you're getting "only" 2,000 watts.

Make sure your dip switches are properly configured and you're connecting the cables to the correct connectors. If you posted a pic of the back of your amp showing the connectors and DIP switches, we could probably sort it out for you.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...even at "only" 450W, it should still be pretty loud, especially compared to the other 2 mentioned...

PS: You might not be driving the QSC with enough power from the pre to get the pwr amp to work at its fullest...
  10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Beyond those darling little DIP switches on the back, to bridge a PLX, you need a speaker cable wired for 1+ and 2+ if you're using the Speakon connector...

Also, please confirm that the SVP-CL puts out enough juice to drive your PLX3002 to full power.
  11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    somewhere in all this i also suspect something's amiss with the way you're setting up the qsc. 3K watts is insanely loud, and should also toast your speakers fairly quickly if you push it too hard.
  12. demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    Thanks for the input I've got all the dip switches set and I'm using banana plugs for the speaker hook up. I don't understand how its about as loud as my mesa walkabout. i'll try using it as a slave from one of my other heads or mxr m-80 into it and see whats up . Thanks again

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
  14. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Wasn't there something said somewhere about the svp cl having low output? I had that trouble once with a pre and power setup that just didn't work well together. Sell everything and get some tubes.
  15. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    As has been hinted at, you probably just aren't getting a hot enough signal out of that preamp to use the poweramp properly
  16. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    My RMX2450 through my 810 seems quiet to me also when I run bridge. I was gonna post about this yesterday but I was thinking maybe I should try it in another room. When I try to push it a little my QSC starts to clip.
  17. Well, if 3000 watts isn't enough, don't bother getting 6000 watts. That's only 3dB louder. You should get at least 12,000 watts, preferrably 24,000 watts to really make a noticeable difference.

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

19. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Is the tube in your pre good? It sounds like that may need replacment to me. 3000 watts is more than enough, and though its not going to be 2x as loud as the Mesa, its going to sound quite a bit louder.