1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

32 vs 34

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by elteye, Jan 23, 2012.

32 or 34?

Poll closed Feb 22, 2012.
  1. 32

48 vote(s)
    40.7%
  2. 34

70 vote(s)
    59.3%
  1. elteye

elteye Commercial User

Jul 12, 2009
    Teye, luthier, owner of Teye-guitars
    So if you had the choice on the same model bass, between a 32 and a 34 inch scale length, and the 32 sounded maybe even better than the 34, which one would you choose and why?

2. Ken J

Ken J Hartford Hot Several Brass Band

Aug 19, 2011
    Middlefield, CT
    Short Scale

3. The question cannot be answered without knowing how they play.

On the other hand, sound is all that matters, so I would take the one that sounded better, even if it played worse.

4. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Even if it gave you hand cramps? etc.

5. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    Short scale. Everytime.

My first bass was a shortscale (hagstrom super swede). Love 'em.

6. Technically, the 32" is a medium scale, not a short scale.

7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Without knowing anything more, the 34" for me. Most of my basses are 34" so I'd rather keep them all similar than put an odd duck in the mix.

8. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I'd have to have a very compelling reason to switch from 34. It would have to play like butter or sound like an angel. Any active bass I have played can produce such a wide range of tones that I seriously doubt anyone could make a 32 that "sounded better". So I am saying 34.

Ken

9. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan. Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    The 32', I have stubby fingers. Short and medium scale basses are my friends.

10. I would find a different bass.

11. rictor66

rictor66

Oct 13, 2009
    Miami, FL

From my experience, the shorter the scale, the rounder the bottom end. Smaller bass, fatter ass.

12. Sound may be all that matters to you, but feel is more important to some people than sound, especially with me.

I've never played a short or medium scale bass so I couldn't say.

13. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    I have built a few 32" basses with great success, lots of fun to play and sound darn good

14. elteye

elteye Commercial User

Jul 12, 2009
    Teye, luthier, owner of Teye-guitars
    Guys, thanks for all your responses. The deal is, I'm figuring out how many of each to make in the first run of six. Personally, I prefer the sound that I can achieve with the 32. But a very good friend who's a dealer advises me to stick only to 34's.

I'm just trying to educate myself what is a consensus. And I'm finding out that everybody has their preference and basically would like to stick to it.

The sound of my two prototypes - one 32 and one 34 - was decently close, and the playability was pretty much equal too - so I don't think that THAT would be an issue when you make the choice.

Again, thanks very much for your input, and keep those opinions coming please!

Sincerely,

Teye

15. Well, from a sales perspective, 34s are safer I would think. That's the standard. What most people are used to.

16. ebonalley

ebonalley

May 17, 2010
    On the other hand, its a real pain in the wallet to find a good 32" now a days. If you can build an affordable quality instrument you'd have the corner on the market. An affordable 32" 5'r with a solid B may make you rich.

17. Boy howdy, would it!!! That's exactly what I'm looking for. :hyper:

18. LCBurt

LCBurt

May 2, 2011
    Michigan
    Yeah, I have some serious alligator arms so a 32" fiver with a great B, just the thought gives me some serious GAS.

19. mordechai

mordechai

Dec 8, 2007
    Maine
    I'd love a 32"! You'd have the market cornered.

20. There need to be more string companies that make 32" scale strings.