34" scale 5-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fnsweeeet, Mar 5, 2006.

1. they're damn hard to find new ones. old spectors are nice and have a sweet B but im in the market for something new, preferrably small string distance. any suggestions?
  2. Ibanez, Ibanez Ibanez. But that's just me. :)
  3. ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Not entirely sure what you are trying to get at there, but if you are asking for the best 34" 5 string Sadowsky's are highly regarded, by many here. Any from clips and look at his work Sadowsky's seem like killer basses and the recorded B strings on them, sound really good. Keep in mind I have unfortunately never been able to play one before.
  4. Music Man, Warwick, Zon, Ken Smith, etc.

An insufficiently stiff neck will still produce a floppy B whether the scale is 34" or 44". My FBB has the most potent B I've ever heard from any bass except perhaps a Modulus, and it's very much a 34" scale. The neck is also roughly as thick as a baseball bat.
  5. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    There's actually quite a few builders making 34" scale fives. 35" scale basses don't have an exclusive lock on the market at all.

Most the custom builders make 34" scale instruments, either as a standard, or by request. Fodera, Zon, Alembic, Warrior, immedately come to mind. Ken Smith won't build anything over a 34" scale.

For production line basses, Fender and Music Man still do 34" scale.

On the more affordable side of things, Music Man makes some nice 5 strings, all 34" scale. I'm not a fan of 5 string Jazz basses, so MM is my choice for a 5. Aside from that, believe the hype regarding Sadowsky 5 strings. Incidentally, Sadowsky doesn't offer a 34" bass either.
  6. ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    cort curbow 5. my zon is also 34", but its a six. the fives come in 34" as well.
  7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

For around $1k, I'd say it's tough to beat the Musicman basses. For $2k, Sadowsky is an obvious choice.

Try a 'ray and a Bongo. They're pretty widely available, and might be just the thing for you.

My Bongo 5HH has supplanted my Lakland DJ5 as my main bass these days. It's comfy (to me) and the tone was exactly what I was looking for. I'm starting to really like the looks, too.
  8. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee

+1 , but I would also add any older or newer yamaha BB model. These things have fantastic B's all the way around. My BBN5A has an amazing B, and musicman are seriously one the best,,, period.
  9. Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Sadowsky 5ers have the best B-strings I have played.
  10. Really? I haven't noticed that? It's still the standard as far as I know...:eyebrow:
  11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Fender is my favorite.
  12. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota

I have a Yamaha BB605 (with Bartolini electronics) that sounds and pays as nice as any other 5 string I've had - Modulus, Smith, etc. Yamaha makes very nice stuff and is quite under-rated in my opinion.
  13. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    From what I've heard Sadowsky and Pedulla are both highly regarded for their 34" scale 5 strings.
  14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    MusicMan / Ernie Ball
    LowEnd Jazz / Benavente 51

Most Boutique builders will make their basses in any scale you want. I just ordered a Bee Bass in 34"... I don't like 35 & 36" scale basses personally. I've never had an issue with a floppy B on 34" scale basses. I find the higher strings get too twangy with the longer scale too.
  15. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I prefer 34" scale.
  16. ge9375

Sep 5, 2004

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

18. Emperor Elite

Emperor Elite

Oct 20, 2004
    My favorite 34" scale 5 string basses are Sadowsky basses, but they have 19mm spacing at the bridge. But, since you said that you wanted narrow (17mm) string spacing, you should also check out Stingray 5s, Bongos, G&L L2500, Wal Mach II, Yamaha BB5000, and Kubicki KeyFactor 5.