Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

35" scale 4-strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ninepointedsean, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Anybody help me with this list of manufacturers/models that make 35" 4-strings?

- Peavey Cirrus custom
    - Spector (has a new one just coming out. . . according to I guy I talked to today at Bass Central)
    - does Yamaha do a 35" 4 string?

I am seriously thinking that my next bass is a 35" 4-string gone BEAD. I want the low B and I love the symmetry of 4 strings ona bass.

Tim C. from RATM/Audioslave goes BEAD on his 4's now, he uses Jazzes so he's standard scale. I tried going BEAD on my jazz, even with a 135 B string (!) it was still floppy and too quiet. So I switched back to standard tuning.

Anybody out there playing a extra-long-scale 4 string?

Peace
    Sean

2. caruso

caruso

Jun 13, 2005
    Bremen, Germany
    Modulus Graphite has a Quantum 4er, I think bassnw or basscentral has one for 1099 US. used.

Yamaha had the trb4II which can be found on the used market. Yamaha's 774 is a 4 string with a 35 scale also.

3. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    i used to have an 83' aria pro 2 sb1000. that was a 35"er. quite heavy though...

4. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I actually found 120-130 gauge to be better if you don't want a floppy B string. Also high action makes a big difference. LTD, Elrick, and others have a 35" scale.

I would whole heartedly reccommend a five string. I used to be four only kind of guy, and wanted BEAD four strings, but the more I played fives, adopted the floating thumb technique, had to sight read and tune down for metal songs, I realized five was the way to go.

I bet the best electronics in bass are found in 5 strings due to theire wide demand. I also think that some luthiers spend more time on the electronics to better suit the B string in afive string setup.

5. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

Really?! When did he start doing that? I saw Audioslave live about a month ago and they played Bullet in the Head (Chris Cornel actually did it justice, not quite Dela'Rocha, but still)... I play it as follows:

G -------------7------------
    D -------------6------------
    A -7-7-77-7-----------------
    E ----------0---------------

Which, if I'm not mistaken, is correct for the main verse... I could have swore he played it exactly the same, with his thumb... and he didn't change basses?!

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    MTD and Skjold 4-strings are both 35" scale. The Gibson Thunderbird is 34.5", I believe.

Tom.

7. Actually, the MTD 4 strings are 34" standard (hence the name 434's), but Mike does offer a 35" scale option on the 4 string. I've only seen one, so I think it's pretty rare.

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Hmmm... Mine is a 435.

9. My bad... you are correct! I guess they are rare because I've rarely seen a 4 string MTD... I thought they were originally 34" scale, but I guess not.

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Elrick makes killer 35" 4 strings.

I use a .120 or .125 B on all of my B string-equipped basses. No flop.

11. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    EDIT: I was wrong, I thought Lakland only made 35" but I now found out they only make 35" in 5 strings.

Sorry.

12. Im pretty sure he still has a Jazz bass in Standard and DADG for the RATM songs and some of the songs from the first Audioslave record. Unless he has some "super" hipshot tuners on there, He would have to use a another bass or play the riff like this.

D-------------12-
    A-7-7--77-7--11-
    E-----------0----
    B----------------

13. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    One of my best friends bought the first MTD 4 string built. It is also a 435. I borrowed it for a while, very nice bass.

14. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I've never seen a 434, but if someone does, let me know!

15. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    As a follow-up question...why on Earth would anyone want a 35" 4 string bass (other than BEAD tuning)?

16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Some people just like longer basses. Also, a guy that's 6'5" with big hands would probably prefer a little extra finger room.

17. I screwed up on the 434 thing.. sorry for the confusion.... I had remembered incorrectly that Mike did not particularly like 35" scales and I incorrectly assumed/remembered that he made his 4 strings 34" scale. What he actually said in his article in Bass Player many years ago is that he never particularly cared for 5 string basses vs. 4 (... 'a five string will never respond like a 4 string'... I totally disagree by the way!). However, I'm with the poster above... why would you want a 35" scale 4 string?... even with big hands, the string spacing would have much more to do with 'more space' than that tiny bit of extra scale. I guess it would increase the tension on all the strings a little bit. I have 35" and 34" scale basses, and to me, they pretty much feel, play and sound very similar.

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I happen to like the additional tension, myself, but to be honest, I have nothing against a 34" scale bass. Heck, I have two 32" scale basses and a 30.5" scale, but this brings me to my thought on why you would want a 35" scale 4-string: muscle memory. If you play a lot of 35" scale 5/6/7 string, and you want to play a 4 string for a song or two (or whatever), if your hands are used to the 35" scale, you may find it easier than playing a 34" 4-string. I've gotten fairly used to switching scale lengths, but still, the first couple of times I reach for the upper positions on a 32" scale bass after playing on a 34" or 34" scale bass it's quite the eye opener! Then again, I also trade off on a 40.5" scale bass, too, but that's a horse of sufficiently different color... :D