Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

35"-Scale P-style bass (4-string)?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aram, May 5, 2004.

1. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Anyone know of or own a 35"-scale, 4-string P-style bass? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but the reason I ask is because I have become very accustomed to the extra inch on my basses, and I'm in the market for a P...but I can't find anyone that makes one in 35" for a 4-string. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Aram

2. i was going to suggest a roscoe -- loved for its "active P" tone -- but i guess the LG body is only 34" scale. if you're looking for a five or more string bass, the SKB body is 35".

if you're looking for a P body and neck with 35" scale and a P pickup, i can't think of anything off the top of my head.

robb.

3. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Thanks Robb, yeah, I'm looking more for the latter - a P body with a 35" scale, precision dimensions and a P pickup...

4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I would say a Modulus Q4 with the EMG "P" type pick-ups would probobly be the closest thing to 35' scale 4 string P-bass. I'm sure there are others out there that would be able to custom make it to your specs though.

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I dont think i have seen any 35 scale P basses, if i here of any i will let you know. Best of luck in your search.

6. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    How bout that conklin rocco sig model?

7. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Halftooth and Major -- thanks very much...I guess I have some weird tastes ;)

BustinJustin -- is the Rocco 35"...I love the look of that thing, that might just be it!

Thanks again!
    Aram

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I have a Stambaugh fretless four string.
    This bass is fender style body.
    neck like my 1971 P-bass 1 5/8 at nut.
    scale is 35 in.
    Single passive pickup.
    Chris makes great fender style basses, with any option you want.
    I find the extra inch. adds more tone to bass.

9. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Thanks Mojo -- I will ask him about that, he is working on another one of my basses.

10. ThunderPig

ThunderPig Guest

Dec 15, 2002
    Oakland California
    This is not a dumb question. I wanted to change one of my Ps to 35" because I usually tune it B-E-A-D. I was looking for a 35" scale 4 string neck to fit in a stock P-Bass without any modification. I found one, but it was a $550.00 graphite. So I asked Warmouth if they made one. At the time (year and a half ago) they did not, but were considering it. Check there to see if they are doing it yet. That extra inch should tighten up the bottom just fine. Good luck.

11. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Bump.