1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

36 SVT's?!?!?! How?!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RyRob813, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Beyer160

Beyer160

Dec 20, 2008
    NC
    I can vouch for that, I used to run my 400 watt BH420 into a '60s SVT at OSHA violating SPLs, and it didn't flinch. That's probably not even the peak power a 300 watt SVT can do, either.

Oh crap, I didn't mean to bring up the tube/ss watts thing again...

2. jvdb

jvdb

Jul 26, 2006
    I've used two 810's at a time on two occasions... awesome stuff! One on every side of the drum stage. These where outdoor festival gigs. But I imagine that if I had to play a large arena or something, I'd definitely go for at least two SVT's and 4 810's :)

So two full stacks would be functional... 36 on the other hand? :smug:

3. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    "36 SVT's?!?!?! How?!!!!"

How? Why not? :bassist: + 36 x 16 x 10" = :bag:

4. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Most of the time nowadays its two SVT's with european concert halls
    and three or four for US Stadiums and outdoor like Milwaukee Metal Fest
    and Ozz Fest gigs.
    I have seen a few dummy Heads/Cabs in my day, SIR storage was full of them.
    My ex's old band had loads on tour back in the early eighties, its gone out of fashion along with drummers looking like a big foot. See far right of photo:
    [​IMG]

5. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    :eek: A 'Kodak Moment'...

6. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Great photo; what was the name of that band?

Assuming you are a pro and are not starving, you don't want to mix train wrecks.
    I was an engineer with for a twin 24 track remote truck (bot digital and analog) and I can say first hand that when you solo a vocal mike during soundcheck at an indoor show with a super loud backline you will have:
    * Tons of blead from the band (especially bass) and from the monitors (as the monitor mixer is trying to get some vocals on stage)
    * Usualy a lead vocalist that can not hear themselves clearly
    * A huge problem with adding effects or reverb
    * A ball of mud for the mix engineer
    * Bad feelings from both the label and mix engineer as it was YOUR job to make sure that quality sound made it to tape

You can have 36 working SVT's on stage; just don't crank them up loud and all is well; an unlikely occurance when the band is imature

7. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Thats White Lion with Steve Stevens on gui**** and Louise Robey on BV's outside the famous house from the Tom Hanks movie "The Money Pit".
    You don't have to be that loud with 4 SVT's its only the same watts as most pre power guys try to stuff through one 4 X 10 today.
    Just call it headroom!. Oh and if one fails you wont really notice much
    difference.:ninja:

8. bassman251

bassman251

Jan 30, 2007
    Actually it looks like Vito Bratta the guitar player on the right side of the girl.

9. We've got an endorsement deal with Crate and have 8 of their 4x12 guitar cabs on stage. Not one of them is in play. Just 2 of the 4 Marshall heads, 2 Marshall cabs and one of the SVTs. It's fun to fire them both up but neither our FOH engineer or our keyboard player (who you can just make out banging his head on keys from too much bass) would ever let me run both.

pic1.jpg

10. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009

If it was 1985, it was the Theatre of Pain Tour.
    If it was the Feelgood Tour, it was 1989.

...... yes, im a Motley fan. :hyper:
    Thanks.

11. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    My bad it probably was 89,saw Theatre of Pain also and yes they still were empty cabs and heads:cool:

12. hectorjcm800

hectorjcm800

May 16, 2008
    Mexico City
    Besides the whole dummy cab thang, I really think that Rock n roll, specially autobiographies intended to shock and awe, written not by the rockers but by some guy who actually knows how to spell (LOL), are very, very inaccurate. Take that one from Slash, fun, really enjoyable read, but do you really buy everything it's in it?

Those "36 Svt's" could've been the whole amount of amps taken on the road actually, not only the SVT's.

I mean, after all, once I heard from somebody that Hendrix put an acid tab underneath his bandana, so it would melt with the sweat and make him trip. Also I heard/read things like Bob Marley did one kilogram of grass every day.

In the other side, I've recently attended the first Sunn O))) show in Mexico City, and it was VERY, VERY loud. 125 db they claim in their tech rider, which also tells you how SERIOUS are these guys regarding massive stage volume. I'm not so into drone metal or doom, but I absolutely had to feel that in the flesh, and boy, I was very impressed. There's a point where you don't hear, but FEEL those apparently simple chords. (youtube is not a good place to hear them). I guess this kind of music has to be heard live to fully enjoy it. The venue was kinda small, and it was half full (400-500 people at most i think). The whole place was rattling and resonating like hell, and it was funny to watch photographers with ear cups, and go to the head and see people putting paper in their ears. After an hour of that, me & everybody in the audience were kinda stunned.

There were about ten 8x10 cabs, and that was ONLY the Ampegs. Then you have 2 full stacks with the infamous SUNN heads for one of the guitar players, and another couple of orange stacks for the other one. Most of them On.

They played with a singer (screamer/and kinda spoken word actually). He was flawless. Stage monitoring was very precise, and it really cut trough. Also in FOH, very clear sounding. It all has to do with frequencies I guess. You can blast the hell out of everything as long as you carve a sonic niche for it. I guess that's an old mixing trick. Sort of a controlled chaos. Since the amps were focused from the low mids to the deepest subs, and they play very slack tunings anyway, there was plenty of space for the voice.

Well... a couple images worth a thousand words...

input.jpg

amp.jpg

(that last pic shows only about half of the stage)

Not dummies, all rental cabs, lots of roadies, of course. I think (becuz of the power LEDs) that the most of 'em were on. A couple of them were on stand by. They use them not only for bass, but for guitars, weird pedals, and also oscillators.

More pics here...

http://www.tono.tv/wordpress/?p=869

13. So awesome.

I've seen in other tech riders, that they basically use the PA to boost the hell out of the sub frequencies, and everything else is all coming from stage. Every amp on stage is turned on though, no dummy cabs or amps in this band.

I'm hoping Sunn will play some US shows in support of their new album that comes out on the 5th.

14. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    likewise. BODY HIGH [or low] is point.

15. lewislngvw

lewislngvw

Aug 16, 2005
    longview,texas
    i talked to a guy with a local sound rental company just the other day and he said that the band he did sound for back in the 80's used cardboard boxes painted to look like cabs.....i agree with the other post...it would sound terrible on stage but then again these guys did lots of drugs to numb the pain....and it would be pain in front of that many cabs....

16. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I love the crue. I was 3rd row center, right in front of nikki on the carnival tour and he had 6 basson cabs. All of them were in use. The grill were off and you could see the cones moving. Sounded awsome! Saw them a few months ago with no cabs on stage, sounded very muddy. I'm sure that I was getting alot of stage sound on the previous show and that's what sounded so good. He really did have a good tone on the carnival tour.

17. AWW heck, If I had "MY" way, I'd tour with 4 Peavey 115bvx's, 4 410tvx's, and 4 210 tvx's powerered by 4 Firebass 700's...
    15's-at 8 ohms, and the 410's at 8ohm, with the 210's at 4 ohms....

HEAVEN!!!!

18. dose

dose

Nov 2, 2008
    Mobile,AL
    +1 Dr.Feelgood tour was my first show and yes there are all unloaded props. Kind of killed it a little for me,but still a great show

19. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    I saw Motley on the Dr. Feelgood tour and remember staring at all the SVT's - each 8x10 cab had three SVT heads on top - so that would make 12 8x10's which sounds about right from what I remember. Who knows if any of them were actually on (and you can only use one of the three heads if they were) but it sure looked cool. Very loud concert, but the sound at the venue I saw them at was very good. I remeber in an interview they were bragging that they had a 100,000W PA which I guess was about double what a normal touring act had back then. Great show, huge pyro - the pyro was about 10x louder than the sound, and you could feel the heat/concussion from them going off! It was a lot of fun - it was excess, it was rock n'roll. Stop analyzing it.

20. I read "The Dirt" While I was in Iraq...almost done with it.....just got mixed up in reading other stuff. I could not imagine having that many cabs plugged in at one time though....but it would probably sound like crap...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021