1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

3d Printed Rickenbacker 4003 Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gojira72, Oct 18, 2018.

1. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    My only 2 cents is, it might be useful to start with smaller models, and scale up. You might learn a lot of expensive quirks, on a smaller , less expensive scale?

I also want to mention that, it seems 3D printing is often looked at as an isolated thing - build it all of plastic w / printer - but the more practical application is in creating parts, or using 3D printing in conjunction with traditional construction methods.

History is replete with examples of people laughing at young (and old) people's garage projects. Consider it merely an aspect of biology: essentially it's people telling you not to eat the red berries. They tell you this for good reason. But we never find the new berries without going through it.

Axstar likes this.
  2. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    It's was a marvelous thing being a teenager.
    All attitude and little ability.

3. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.

Why are you so emotionally invested and generally wound up about this thread?

4. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    At least the OP isn't trying to 3d print replacement body mods in his garage without the benefit of any medical knowledge or understanding of 3d printing.....like my last dentist.

knumbskull, Axstar and clickclack like this.
  5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    The story changed mid thread.

It went from what seemed like a broke, misguided kid who desperately wanted a nice bass he couldn't afford....

....to just some kid who wanted to mess around with a 3D printer and see what happened.

It went from "Please guys! Help me start my bass journey!".....

.....to "Meh. If it works it works. If it doesn't, who cares? Whatevz."

I thought we were advising a broke kid emotionally invested in becoming a bass player. The best advice would be to put the 3D thing on the back burner and save up for an actual bass.

Turns out we were just having fun with a printer with no ACTUAL goal of this kid winding up as a bass player or even owning a bass.

So, at first I thought I was one of the few people here giving him good advice. In a sea of "Go for it kid!" I thought I was helping to turn the ship in a direction that wound up putting a usable bass in the hands of a kid who really wants to play.

Later I found out he doesn't really care. So neither do I at this point. :thumbsup:

gebass6 likes this.
  6. clickclack

clickclack

Jan 20, 2018
    I'm sure at this point if he asks for it, someone with 100 bass guitars will donate one to him so he already won for trying in more than one way. :thumbsup:

7. Oberst

Oberst

Oct 1, 2018

8. TreySonagras

TreySonagras

Aug 11, 2013
    Texas
    I'm thinking it'll be a Ricketybacker

9. Gojira72

Gojira72

Oct 18, 2018
    Thats actually not a bad name

10. Gojira72

Gojira72

Oct 18, 2018
    Im starting to wonder that myself

11. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Anything to do with Rickenbackers always riles people up, it’s our version of Partisan Politics on TB.

12. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    I see your angle, but I didn't get that invested into OP's story, either way. I don't feel like I've been robbed of my time, effort or resources in this thread. This might be because I don't pay attention to the back stories half the time. OP seemed like a broke kid who happened to have access to a swanky 3D printer? Teenager gets bored of a thing and doesn't finish off the thing? Last I saw, OP had a sort of jigsaw of 4003-shaped 3D printed tiles.

I honestly don't think you can run a 4003 bass off a 3D printer, but I admire the gung-ho attitude of a kid who thinks they can give it a shot. As I wrote in here before, I got a bit peeved when all these stories of 3D printed guitars came along, and they were wooden-core instruments with wooden necks and wooden fretboards, only with a 3D-printed framework for a body.

There is maybe some scope to 3D print a bass with a fretboard of the sort that was used on the Bond Electraglide guitars:

bond-electraglide-1985-cons-full-front.

I think there is something to this. Not for nothing do Gartner publish a hype cycle specifically for 3D printing.

gartner-publishes-its-2017-hype-cycle-for-3d-printing-technology-1.

I think there is a lot of scope to employ 3D printing to recreate old, obscure plastic parts from vintage instruments; old parts that were made from brittle plastics in unusual colours, or which conformed to unusual dimensions and shapes. For bass players I'm guessing it would be useful to 3D print some ramps as well.

OP could generate some income by 3D printing sets of Peavey T40 pickup rings in a variety of finishes. One or two builders already do this, but OP could undercut the competition and save up for a Rickenbacker this way. :)

13. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    Action figure accessory 3D reprints, comes to mind. I lost Han Solo's blaster decades ago. Then again, maybe it's better to stop playing with dolls? Nawwwww

gumtown and HaphAsSard like this.
  14. CGremlin

CGremlin Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2014
    The problem there is that fused-deposition printers (most 3D printers on the market - the ones that squirt melted plastic) can't do fine enough detail. An stereolithography (SLA) printer (works by exposing photosensitive plastic to UV light) could, but that requires a special resin that doesn't have the same characteristics and isn't as durable as the ABS plastic that those kinds of toys/accessories are made from. Both kinds have some fairly severe limitations on the geometry of the part to be printed, often requiring supports to be printed that then have to be removed after the part is finished.

The best bet is probably using an SLA printer to make a master, then making silicone molds from that and casting parts in regular resin. *Much* faster than printing parts directly, more reliable, and easier too - the SLA resin is about $60-80/liter, is obviously sensitive to outside light, and is messy/stinky as all hell.

15. Hey Gojira

What a fun read and a great project! Success or failure? Success lies in the leaning process you are undertaking - not necessarily in the destination. Thanks for enlightening us and posting your progress along the way. Continue to go for it! Don't let anyone discourage you or take the wind out of your sails. The mostly negative weekend "experts" and naysayers do nothing but make me chuckle.

Remember, there is always a solution to any problem you encounter, you just have to continue to dig deeper to find it.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  16. boilingTheDead

boilingTheDead

Oct 15, 2018
    Why would anyone be upset because someone out there builds a bass? That thought alone is a very absurd IMO.

What should a "broke kid" who obviously loves to build rather do:

- build it his own, try and error, learn something, having fun.
    - selling his hobby and save for a 1500$-2000$ premium instrument?

17. BigDrew

BigDrew

Jun 1, 2016
    LI-NY
    Why are you so invested in trying to stop someone from being creative ? So odd that you wouldn’t encourage someone to think differently.

18. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Building a car out of yarn balls is creative. It's also dumb. And you won't wind up with a car.

19. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand

BigDrew, GBBSbassist and Jeff Scott like this.
  20. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    One word: density. The resins used in 3d printers are considerably more dense than most wood. If you want this to be a reasonable weight, lots of chambering would be a good idea.