1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

3M Flexible Polishing Papers vs Micro-Mesh Soft Touch Finishing Pads

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by azfryguy, May 12, 2011.

1. azfryguy

azfryguy

Feb 2, 2010
    Queen Creek AZ
    I cannot decide which one to get. Maybe you guys can help me out. I will be buying one or the other and maybe later down the road when I have money both! Lets go to the tale of the tape!

Flexible Polishing Paper Micro-Mesh Finishing Pads

Cost $11.90 $10.39

Varity 6 9

Amount 9" x 11" 2" x 2" (two sides)

Wet or dry Yes Yes

Pros Flexable Squeezes out water

One of the only things I can find that people do not like about the Flexible Polishing Paper is that it needs a color coding system. Well, that is not a big deal if you pay attention to what you are doing. On the Micro-Mesh Finishing Pads reviews say that if you use mineral spirits instead of water it lifts the sandpaper from the pads. That is ok because I do not plan on doing that anyways. So what do you suggest getting?

2. Blind Dog

Blind Dog

Jun 19, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    I am not familiar with the 3m polishing paper but I have been using a set of micromesh for quite a few years with no problems.

3. try to find abralon pads, they are used for bowling balls, and they are flexible, the pads hold a lot of water, and they make a consistent scratch pattern, I like them better than micromesh actually. You can get a six grit pack from ebay for like 15-16 bucks, and they last a verrrryyyy loooong time

4. azfryguy

azfryguy

Feb 2, 2010
    Queen Creek AZ
    Why do you like them better other than the scratch pattern reason?

5. gfried84

gfried84 Commercial User

May 7, 2005
    Owner Fried Guitars Inc.
    I get better results with micro mesh for polishing bone and frets. I like the 3m flexible polish papers for finish touch up.

6. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    I like the Micro-Mesh products, but not the "pads". I get the sheets (3' x 6") and also the hook-and-look backed discs for my random orbit sander. I have actually polished wenge up to a mirror-like finish with just the sanding discs (dry).

These work well wet or dry, and can be found many places. I get both the sheets and the 5" sanding discs from Woodcraft.

7. LedBelli Bass

LedBelli Bass Fine, Handmade Custom Bass Guitars

Dec 25, 2008
    Pasco, WA
    I recently discovered Abralon discs. They have now found their way into my finishing schedule on a permanent basis. They are outstanding . . .

8. I didn't know these discs existed. Guess I'll be placing a Woodcraft order this week. I love my micro-mesh.

9. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    At woodcraft, they also have Abranet sanding discs (hook and loop mesh discs made by the same people who make Abralon). I love these things. They run from 80 grit to 600 grit.

I sand all my bodies and necks with the set of the Abranet prior to finishing, and if the wood requires no finish (wenge, bloodwood, etc.), I move from there straight into the Micro-Mesh discs. :D