1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

4 Ohm 1X10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Jul 29, 2012.

1. My buddy is looking for a 4ohm 110 that is at least 300 watts. I know 8ohm is much more common setup for that cabinet.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    My Eden ex110 is 300 watts with 4 ohms impedence if I remember correctly.

That being said and not to get folks started up again but when you are talking about something that sounds as simple as "watts" it is really much more complicated that it seems.

Peak, RMS THD. headroom etc etc.

That being said this speaker with the matching WTX 264 amp is enough for a gig with a controlled civilzed drummer.

Dave Mattacks yes. Keith Moon, no.

3. king rew

king rew

Feb 18, 2009
    Maine
  4. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Used Yamaha BBT110

5. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    ... good luck finding ... BTW, these are rated at 250 watts, but I have found one alone seems to work best with around 125-150 watts into it ...

6. Its kid of pointless. That is a thermal rating and the driver will fart out long before 300 watts. 100-125 watts is really the maximum power a 110 cab can work with.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Even with 6-7mm xmax you're still gonna be limited to 100-150 watts per driver depending on the box.

+1 to CL 400 Peavey.....pointless.

Unless that particular driver gives you some breakup you like, or you have a small tube amp with no 8ohm tap.

8. Check out the frequency responses on those. not looking too hot as full range drivers.

+1

Any 10" driver that's going to handle that much power in the lows is going to sacrifice something, sensitivity or frequency response etc.

9. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
  10. srayb

srayb

Oct 27, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
  11. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
    A case in point - Aguilar SL112:
    Power Handling: 250 watts RMS, 500 watts peak
    Sensitivity: 99.9 dB 1W 1M
    Max SPL: 120db

A quick calculation shows that 100W should give you this cab's max SPL. Any more power will give no more volume - only more heat.

12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    While not a 1x10, the Hartke HX112 is small, very light, sounds great and has a true 4 ohm/8 ohm impedance switch.

And they're not very expensive!!!