1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

4 or 16-Ohm Drivers in 8-Ohm Goliath Jr III?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bongolation, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    The Goliath Junior III has two PAS drivers = 8-Ohms. Are they 4 or 16-Ohm drivers? Obviously, they could be either, but they're not. Which did SWR use?

Thanks for an authoritative answer!

2. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Goliath Jr IV has 16 ohm speakers. I can only assume that's what III had???

From SWR site under "specifications"

Model Name Goliath Junior™ 8 ohm
    Model Number 44-10700-810
    Series Goliath Series
    Type Bass Speaker Enclosure
    1/4" In/Out and SpeakonĀ® Input Jacks
    Horn Protection Circuit
    Power Output N/A
    Impedance (Ohms) 8 ohm
    Speakers (2) 10" custom-designed 16 ohm EminenceĀ® drivers, P/N 0074454000,
    (1) FosterĀ® Horn, P/N 0066395000

3. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I know. I looked, too.
    I don't think so, but I need to know for sure.

The Junior III specs have seemingly vanished from the web.

4. Bluesbob

Bluesbob

Mar 13, 2000
    Springfield, TN
    I'm looking at the charred basket of one of the original speakers from my Fender issue 8-ohm Goliath III Jr. The label on the magnet says "BG1016C 16. The other one didn't actually catch fire, but it did start flopping around. I replaced them with Madison Knight 300-watt 8-ohm tens and the cab sounds really nice, smooth, lots of low mids (I turn the horn down or off), serious punch for a 2X10. Nice mini-rig standing up on end with my Eden WT400. Here's a pic:

clubrig.
    Of course, this is with the original (combustible) speakers

5. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Highly unlikely to be 2x4ohms. But if you're going to replace one, then you're going to have to open it up -- so just look at the wiring. If they're in parallel, then they're 16ohms. If they're in series then they're 4ohms. A quick google will tell you what to look for...

6. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    If someone's popped one open and seen that they are actually 16s [see above], then yes.

But...SWR absolutely, positively DID use 4-Ohm drivers in some boxes in some years, though. 4-Ohm G-IIs used 4x4-Ohm drivers. I own one and have checked. Each individual driver's DCR is a little over three ohms.

The Black Beauty still uses a single 15" 4-Ohm speaker. I have one of them and have checked.

I don't have this Junior III cab I'm asking about, so I can't pull the drivers to see in this case, which was why I asked.

7. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Seems conclusive, thanks.

8. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Bump for reference:
    - it's safe to presume, or at lest highly probable, that the 4 ohm version of the Goliath III (410) had the same drivers as the 8 ohm 210;
    - as per this thread, the 8 ohm series III 410 is loaded with 8 ohm drivers, as most certainly was the 4 ohm version of the III Jr.*

*This was also the case with series I and II where the same (8 ohm) driver (at any given time) was used for both the 210 and the 410, which meant the former was 4 ohms only and the 410 8 ohms (wired series/parallel) only, no alternative impedance options available.