1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

4 or 5 string SUB Ray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by patlozrox, Jun 3, 2014.

1. patlozrox

patlozrox

Apr 10, 2012
    Munster, Indiana
    Losiniecki LED Customs (My own company)
    So I'm going in on Friday to buy a Sterling by Music Man SUB Ray. Now, I'm stuck between the 4 and 5 string. I love both. So which one should I get? I'm getting the walnut satin with rosewood, just letting you all know. Thanks for the help, guys. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1401856060.380507. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1401856085.603219.

2. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Buy used and you can probably get both for the same price of a new 5 stringer. I bought my 5 string for $170, my 4 string $150 both in the walnut finish. I have since sold both as I decided to keep only one Sub bass in my collection- a mint green one. They're great basses for the money, but having four of them was a little overkill. The walnut is really sharp looking for either the 4 or 5 string version , I only decided to keep the green one because of the maple neck and the slightly retro look to it.

3. patlozrox

patlozrox

Apr 10, 2012
    Munster, Indiana
    Thanks. I'll see what I can find. If I can't find any good deals, then I think I'll get the 5er. But like I said, I'm really not sure yet.

4. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I know there's a walnut fiver on GC for $249.99 currently. (still a little high in price. - $20 gets it shipped to your door)http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...-5-String-Electric-Bass-110100697-i3738611.gc

This one I believe refers to a walnut 4 string (it's listed as brown) for $199 - same shipping cost
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...wn-Electric-Bass-Guitar-110196967-i3771690.gc

5. patlozrox

patlozrox

Apr 10, 2012
    Munster, Indiana
  6. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I would recommend calling the store and have them describe the condition over the phone. The used Subs I got from GC were absolutely flawless, even had the plastic still on the pickguards.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Your call, obviously, but I recommend five string primarily because it'll increase your marketability. That is, it's extremely common for bass lines to go below low E these days, even in blues and country... and of course there's dance pop with synth bass. BEADG five string will give you that range. You can also get there on a four, if you don't mind detuning. But after detuning my fours for over a decade I switched to fiver and never looked back.

Best of luck, whichever way you go.

8. patlozrox

patlozrox

Apr 10, 2012
    Munster, Indiana
    Yeah. I'm calling tonight after work. Thanks again for the tip

9. patlozrox

patlozrox

Apr 10, 2012
    Munster, Indiana
    Thanks. I was thinking maybe the 5 string, too. I'm in a metal band and we sometimes play in drop A. I have an Ibanez that can get that low, but a 5 string can also play all of the standard tuned stuff. I may end up with both by the end of this haha.

10. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    If you buy the 5'er you get both in one instrument.

That doesn't happen the other way around.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  11. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I've sorted this link... it should give you a fairly current listing of used Sterling basses in price order. There are a 3 walnut 4 string basses going for $199.99. I would pick the one in the best condition and from that, the one that's located closest to your state as that would reduce the shipping charge. I live in Michigan and having a bass shipped from Oregon for example came out to $25. Just ordered a bass from Illinois and shipping was $15 - I bought a $100 bass a couple of days ago, with shipping and tax, it came out to $121. The basses get to my door pretty quickly too, at most 4-5 days. Even their used basses have that 30 day return policy, so if you're not happy with it, you can just drop it off at your local GC store, no need to mail it. Keep checking the listing as the cheaper priced ones show up and get sold pretty quickly. You can see 4 string Subs go for $150, 5'ers for about $170-180 from time to time.

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedge...=asc&srch&category=38&q=sterling&distance=100

12. Ibycan

Ibycan

May 24, 2014
    Alabama
    Sit down and play with both. They sound different is not just about the additional string. I played both the black and maple on the 4 and 5 string and I could not get a sound I liked out of the 5 string to save my life.

13. bnolsen

bnolsen

Jan 30, 2014
    denver area
    I personally didn't like the balance of the ray5 as much as the ray4. that was just sitting and playing...