1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

4- or 5-String?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Scott Tipton, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Ok, my acoustic double bass is a 4-string. I'm looking for a cheap EUB, and the only good thing I've found yet is an attractively priced 5-string via Ebay. Would there be any conflict for me? Could I just ignore the fifth string?

2. keltik

keltik

Aug 17, 2004
    NC
    i guess this is my go out on a limb day so here goes my $0.02:

i'm going to say the NS WAV4.....~$900US.....a drop in the bucket compared to a nice acoustic upright

i'm not an upright player but i don't think you could use the extra string as a thumbrest like some of us electric players do when new to a 5er and i guess it depends on whether you play more arco or pizzicato (i think i spelled those right!)....but from the sound of it you play more pizzicato (i'm guessing since you mentioned ignoring a string)....also you don't mention amplification....do you have a suitable rig for your playing needs?.....you also don't mention your budgetary limitations or your musical style.....like i said before i'm not an upright player (but have considered the task) and therefore you should probably take this with a grain of salt

word to your mother

kel

3. thanks kel

you're right, i found a friend that has a five-string upright and it was too different. Right now i'm operating on a secondhand preamp (in need of an upgrade, but as long as it still functions, i'm ok), an ampeg BA115 amp, and a fishman BP-100 pickup. i'm generally a jazz bass, but i also play classical

4. anechoic

anechoic

Oct 31, 2005
    Shirley, MA
    I'd go with the 5 string BUT with a high C rather than a low B. I actually play a 6 string upright, but I rarely use the low B. Mostly it just gets in the way when I want to bow the E. The C string, however, I use pretty often.

Oddly, I'm the other way around on bass guitar - I find the low B indespensible, and have little use for a high C.

Obviously, this comes down to personal preference and the material you're playing.

5. wow, 6-string DB, eh? how is it for pizz, and how wide's that neck gotta be?

6. MacDaddyBass

MacDaddyBass

Apr 22, 2007
    Provo, UT
    I picked up a NS CR5M last year, took the plunge on the five string and was not disappointed. It was rough at first, but now that I've got it down I love playing the B string when I can. It doesn't work on everything, mainly on celtic stuff and the occasional bluegrass tune. The solo on Devil Went Down to Georgia is freaking sweet with the B String. But it really depends on what you're using it for.