Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

$400-$600 Bows

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Illfavor, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Illfavor

Illfavor

Mar 9, 2005
    DFW
    I'm a German player. Bow style I mean. I'm an Oklahoman bassist...anyways. I'm entering college this Summer and am planning on purchasing a Cleveland model New Standard Bass (if someone can explain to me whether the difference between their laminate and hybrid styles would really mean anything in a college symphony, that would be great) and I'd like to get a pretty good bow. Obviously I don't have have the money for the highest quality bow, but I'd still like to have something more respectable than the 10 cent fiberglass thing I'm somehow using right now, or the slightly more expensive but still crappy Arco Noveau thing I use at school.

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    The Hybrid would be slightly more woody. The Laminated model sounds great as well but I think for Bowing, a Spruce top is sweeter. Arnold has some Bows in you rangs too. Ask him..

3. Eric_J

Eric_J Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Flower Mound, TX. USA
    If you're in OK, you may want to check out Tom Owen. I believe he's in Colgate. Search Talk Bass for reviews of his bows.

When its time to upgrade, I plan on checking out his bows.

4. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    I would also recommend the bow I use, A workshop Lothar Seifert. New they are $700, but you can often find them for less. I got mine for $300 on Ebay.

5. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I don't know where you are in Oklahoma, but I have a Tom Owen German that I love. You are more than welcome to check mine out sometime.

6. Illfavor

Illfavor

Mar 9, 2005
    DFW
    Well, I'm in Edmond, so I couldn't be much closer to OKC without being...there. I may take you up on that!