1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

400w head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jaredxsmith, May 8, 2010.

1. jaredxsmith

jaredxsmith

May 8, 2010
    Hey, my bassist and I are pretty much amp noobs. We picked up a GK GLX 4x10 cab yesterday because it was pretty much a steal. Now we're looking for a 400w head for it. We're pretty broke so we're looking for the best bang for our buck. Any help guys?

Thanks

2. Lemoore-on

Lemoore-on

May 11, 2008
    My whole set up is used except for the wireless. Keep your eye on the for sale section here, lot of deals to be found.

Tell your bass player to get on here himself and learn. Theese guys and gals have helped me alot.

3. G-K 400RB, Backline 600, lots of good Peavey heads can be had really cheap!

4. +1 on the backline 600, i love mine.

5. If you can find the GK Goldline head, I think they sound really good with the GLX cabs.

6. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario
    Peavey Nitrobass.

7. jaredxsmith

jaredxsmith

May 8, 2010
    I've read up on this thing and I'm really considering it. I was looking at the Firebass head too and I actually like that better. Would running the firebass head with the 8ohm 400w RMS/800w Program GLX cab be safe?

8. Lemoore-on

Lemoore-on

May 11, 2008
    Ok, SWR SM400's are all over this place. They are great rock amps at a great price! there are alot of others, LMII's ?& the like.

9. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Sure, it would be perfectly safe, just possibly the worst power to weight ratio of any head / cab combination I can think of. The Firebass is rated 275 watts @ 8 ohms. The Nitro will put out around 170 watts at 8 ohms.

10. jaredxsmith

jaredxsmith

May 8, 2010
    What about putting the firebass on 475w @ 4ohms. Thats not the bad kind of ohm mismatch and thats only putting about 18.75 watts extra on each speaker if I'm not mistaken. And what I've been getting from this forum is that putting extra wattage into the speakers is actually kind of a good thing right?

11. MFox

MFox

Apr 16, 2009
    New England, USA
    the Hartke LH500 is great bang for the buck. but has a 100 more watts than you are looking for.

12. atheos

atheos

Sep 28, 2008
    Tampere, Finland
    If the cab is 4 ohms then yes. At 8 ohms the LH500 is rated at about 350 watts. In any case it's enough, IMHO that's all that eventually matters. But I do agree, LH500 is great bang for buck. I love mine.

13. Hartke LH 500 is a good buy, not too much tone shaping going on though.

I personally have a soft spot for Pre -Fender SWR amps, if I had to choose other than my Genz rig;)

14. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    You can't "put the firebass on 4 ohms", it doesn't work that way. The head works at whatever impedance load it's hooked up to. If you run it with an additional 8 ohm cab, then yes, that will be fine, and then the 475 watts will be split in half to each cab, so no power handling worries there.

15. The impedance of the cabinet(s) determines the power range you'll get from a SS amplifier.

The firebass would be a good choice, but, as has been said you'll only be getting up to about 275 watts out of it.

Pfft, the Firebass is my light amp :p

My SVT weighs in at about double that, and there's only about 25 watts more power :p

16. jaredxsmith

jaredxsmith

May 8, 2010
    Oh man I didn't know that. So I'm pretty much screwed at getting a lot of wattage out of 8 ohms without breaking my little bank?

17. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    GK 700RBII 320w @ 8ohm,480w @ 4 ohm, great head and good match with that cab.

18. The actual difference in volume you'll hear between a "275 watt" amp and "475 watts" isn't going to be that much. You'll only really notice the difference if you are running the 275 watts to it's limits and just need that little bit more.

19. Also, if that 8 ohm 4x10, uses four 8ohm speakers, then you could rewire it to 2 ohms.

If you were using a 2 ohm compat. head, then it's a possibility.

20. Yorkville 400B, XM400, or XS400 can all be had for relatively cheap and rock. As does a Peavey MarkIV.