Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

(4th Annual) Favorite Horror Movies Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I do this every year around Halloween- please feel free to share any of your favorites, or for those that have posted before, have you found any new favorites? Discover any old jems?

I recently saw "High Tension," and while there were either plot holes the size of canyons or a REALLY brilliant story where the entire flick (including the beginning) is taken from someone's mind, I found it to be a pretty gripping movie. A lot of really scary stuff....not something I often see in horror movies these days. I also saw the new Amityville Horror, and while it was okay, it reminded me of how much better the original 70's version was, and of the Shining, which I always believed was a big influence on the original Amityville.

We also rented Undead, which is VERY reminiscent of Peter Jackson's "Dead Alive" (or Brain Dead outside of the US), although it dragged on way too long to be anywhere near as enjoyable.

I'm looking forward to seeing Land of the Dead this week- I missed it in theaters, so I don't know if it was good or not.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Agreed about High Tension. It was a throwback to the 70's style slasher and it was great at times and awful at others.

Recent horror movies that I dug: Exorcism of Emily Rose, 28 Days Later. I loved Thirteen Ghosts, not because it was good, but because it was laughably bad.

Classics: Rosemary's Baby, The Exorcist, Poltergiest, etc

3. Oh, and Rottentomates didn't hate Land of the Dead.
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/land_of_the_dead/

And don't get me started on 13 Ghosts. Like anyone sits filling a tub, looking in a mirror, smiling ear to ear like that while a dead chick is in the bathtub.... vacant.

4. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    The Creeping Flesh. Very cool and tacky oldschool Christopher Lee.

5. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    The Grudge was pretty freaky, so was the Ring.

We just saw Saw (play on words not intended)... that was more of a thriller rather than horror - sort of like Seven.

One of my all time favourites is the Entity.

Omen is another great one.

I remember watching a movie when I was really young, where in one scene, a boy is swimming in a pool, and starts to drown, and one of the parents tries to get to him, but the house wouldn't let them out... Is this the original Amityville? For some reason, I also remember an old woman in a rocking chair in the attic, which sounds like Psycho to me??? Maybe I'm inventing movies by blending them together.

6. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    oh yeah,

and I really dig all those crazy sci-fi/horror movies, Event Horizon.

also on the Sam Neill kick - In the Mouth of Madness

7. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado

Nope... "House" maybe?

The 1990 remake of Night of the Living Dead is one I can watch over and over again. The first time I saw Exorcist has always stayed with me.

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Once again, "The Eye"...

I think only Bryan was familiar with that one.

9. Some of my favorites:

Romero's Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead (the remakes aren't bad either, but I prefer the originals)
    The Exorcist
    The Fly
    The Thing
    Re-Animator
    Suspiria
    The Shining
    Both Evil Dead movies
    Hellraiser
    And of course, the old Universal monster movies...good stuff

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That was one weird movie. The whole thing looked like an old Queen video or something (Argento kept changing film types), and it went on forever.

11. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Best horror movie ever. Period.

12. I love the atmosphere and the style of that movie much more than anything else about it - the first murder scene is possibly the most stylish cinema death I've ever seen. Argento uses color and lighting to amazing (and surreal) effect, so much so that the movie resembles a fairy tale or a dream. Or an old Queen video. ;)

13. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    The animated Tarzan Movie. ANYTHING featuring the voice of Rosie O'Donnell scares the crap outta me.

14. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    On the other side of Argento, ever see Demons 2? TERRIBLE zombie movie. I kinda doubt he had much to do with it though. He's credited as the writer, but there's not much "writing" to it.

15. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    We fear what we love the most.

16. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

EWWWWWWWWWWw

17. Speaking of Argento, his daughter is stunning.

Ooops, offtrack already. sorry.

18. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Sorry, dude...for some reason I got you mixed up with Bryan... EEEEEEEWWWWWW!

:D ;)

19. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Eraserhead
    The Wickerman

Easily the two creepiest. ;)