1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5 String EADGC conversion

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by James Creek, Jan 10, 2017.

1. James Creek

James Creek

Dec 30, 2016
    Birmingham UK
    Hi,
    I know this has been discussed before on Talkbass, but I wanted a fresh view on it.
    I want to discard the low end B String and add a high C, is it such a big deal as some people say ? Some say it's a piece of cake whilst others say the nut on a 5er isn't designed to take EADGC size strings......any views ?
    Thanks.

LowRenzo likes this.
  2. LowRenzo

LowRenzo

Jul 3, 2014
    The Hague
    I've not personally done it, but the only reason I can think of for it not working without putting in a lot of effort is each nutslot being cut much too wide for the strings you'll be using. The slot for a B will now house an E, giving it far too much space to move, rattle, etc. So you would definitely have to cut a new nut.

Anything else should be relatively easily adjustable.

3. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    @James Creek ...... Piece of cake...as long as the slots in the nut are correctly cut, round on the bottom and slanted toward the peghead, you'll have no problems.The strings nestle down in the bottom just as they should. I have several 4 strings set up for BEAD and can change to EADG with only minor setup tweaks, mainly intonation. Before putting on the smaller strings, move the B saddle to match the E, E to A, etc, to save some work. Intonation should be really close. May need other setup tweaks.

Anders Barfod and LowRenzo like this.
  4. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    It's not difficult to do, and you can get by on a trial basis without cutting a new nut, but you'll find yourself reaching over the "C" string to play the "E" string a lot. I recommend trying it a while without making any permanent changes in case you want to revert to BEADG.

LowRenzo likes this.
  5. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I'm only a data set of 1, but fwiw I converted my Warmoth BEADG 5-string to EADGC and it not only worked just fine with no nut modification required, but it also wound up sounding a million times better!

LowRenzo likes this.
  6. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I've set several 5's up for EADGC. No nut change and no truss rod change needed as long as you make sure your new C is about the same lbs of pull as the old B.
    All you have to do is restring and reintonate.
    I did have one that needed a longer intonation screw on the C string saddle. But that will vary with each instrument.

LowRenzo likes this.