1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5-string fender J-basses, do they suck? If so why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NoString, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Yeah, it rocks!

141 vote(s)
    69.8%
  2. Booooo it sucks!

61 vote(s)
    30.2%
  1. NoString

NoString

Dec 8, 2006
    OK, I’ve been considering a 5-string fender Jazz Bass for my next purchase. But now some of my know-it-all friends tell me they don't sound any good. Any opinions about that? Why wouldn't a 5-string sound as well as a 4-string?

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    It's popular to bash Fender five strings, regardless of one has played them or not. I have played a few, and they've all played and sounded like a jazz bass should.

3. With all due respect, if Fender 5-string jazzes "sucked", they wouldn't sell thousands of them every year. (Not to mention the fact that Fender makes many differnt flavors of 5-string Jazz. The Victor Bailey, the Standard, the Deluxe, the American, the Roscoe Beck, etc., etc. Can it be possible that all of those models "suck?" Not likely. :rollno: )

Don't listen to your friends -- invest some time & effort and play some for yourself and let your ears dcide.

4. I love my Fender American Deluxe V - the B string is tight and responsive and the bass just sounds incredible.

5. Modern Growl

Modern Growl Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    NY/NJ Metro Area
    Usually the low B isn't that tight on Fenders and sounds mushy... but your taking this from a guy that doesn't like the way the low B sounds on the supposed "legendary low B" on Laklands either. I'm a 4 string exclusive.

I WILL say that I like the way the other 4 strings sound though, possibly better then a standard 4 strings Fender. Due to the more mass in the neck and body, they sound deeper, - to me.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    MIM Fender fives tend to be inconsistent in my experience. MIA Fenders fives are alot better. Fender, like MusicMan, suffers from being very common. There are lots of Fender fives setting around GCs and pawnshops that need setups or have fret sprout.

Personally, I owned a MIA Fender Jazz V, and I thought it was a great bass. The B string was tight, the neck was comfortable, and it had a great Jazz bass tone. I traded it in for a SR5 HH because the Stingray was just so hot, not because the Fender was bad in any way.:cool:

7. blmeier7

blmeier7 Supporting Member

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    Listen to Juan Nelson (Ben Harper), he mostly plays a Fender 5 string jazz and it sounds great. Juan is a master at the 5 string in my opinion. He moved to Fender after playing MTD 535's for years so they can't be too bad.

8. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    The only fender 5 I've played was a MiM, and it had the floppiest B I've ever touched in my life.
    As always, just play before you buy. :D

9. tlwaps

tlwaps

Feb 13, 2006
    Ohio
    I used to own a Fender Deluxe 5 string it was a great bass. Had no problems with it, played and sounded great. I sold it so I could get a Warwick Corvette Standard 5 string. Christian Olde Wolbers from Fear Factory played on 5 string Fender's from the Obsolete album on, he still uses them to this day if he's playing bass.

10. I love mine. It has all kinds of tone and flavor and plays like butter!

[​IMG]

MIA and here to stay!

11. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    The American Deluxe 5 is the best 5 ive ever played , very nice neck an killer electronics.
    I love Fender basses , really , i do , nothing feels more comfortable to play long gigs with.

12. mine.plays.like.butta

13. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    I played a 96 USA Deluxe 5 at a local store He was going to sell it to me for $500. The thing was mint played great but I didn't like the tone at all. Put in a new battery and changed the strings and I still wouldn't pay $500 for it.

14. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX

Did you happen to plug it into an amp? :bag: ;)

15. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I used to own tZer's Jazz V and another one that was Lake Placid blue colored. Neither one had a floppy or mushy B string.

16. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    That's sweet.

I have a MIM Fender V with a great B.

17. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    3 amps. I own 9 fender basses. I wouldn't say it sucked, just didn't do anything for me. See threads like this crack me up, how can you possibly know if your going to like a certian guitar by asking someone else. It didn't suck it didn't rock it was just another bass I wouldn't pay for. Just my opinion anyone who would base a purchase on someone elses opinion could be in for a big letdown. You might as well ask,"does this bass make me look fat?"

18. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    I have a Fender Am Dlx 5-string and think it sounds great, but the neck is on the chunky side. The one l played and really like is the Marcus Miller 5-string it is an amazing Fender 5-string and neck isn't chunky like other Fenders.

The one really nice thing about the Fender 5-strings is that midrange control. When I need it I add a touch of the midrange and the bass cuts in any playing situation.

19. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I've had several Fender MIA 5's, just sold one a few days ago. I love Fender's, always will, but I just can't warm up to a Fender 5 no matter how hard I try (and I keep on trying :meh: ).

There is just something about them that feels like an after thought to me, and it's kind of ticking me off lately. Any of the good Fender-esque copies I've played (Valenti's, Lull, Lakland, Sadowsky) all play great and I like them a lot, but I'm not willing to pay the price they command. I rarely use a 5 string to begin with, so I just can't justify the prices of the boutique/custom shop versions. The MIA Fender is priced right for me, just wish it felt better ....

Oh well, I'm going to keep on trying, I'm sure .... :cool:

20. I have MIM Fender Deluxe Active V and really like it.

I think the B string is not floppy at all. it is also really loud.

Only thing is(with mine at least)
    -kinda heavy
    -cant get too many different tones out of it.

but it really is a great bass