1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5 String Hollow body basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basszoned, Aug 15, 2012.

1. basszoned

basszoned

Dec 10, 2008
    Wallingford CT
    Hi Talkbass Members,

Anyone aware of a hollow body 5 string bass?

Rather than an acoustic 5 string, I was wondering if something like that is available.

Thanks much,
    Regards,
    Fred

2. Fred: you are not alone in this blues!!! A 5 strings hollow would be my main axe if only

1) they were not so rare
    2) the only ones you find cost an arm and a leg!

A couple of beauties for you to drool over (given you are looking for "a serious" axe); the first is about point 1) and the second about 2):

ve0wzk.

[​IMG]

The only other solution is.... having it custom built for you! And this is probably what I will end up doing. If my wife does not throws me out from home...

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
  4. basszoned

basszoned

Dec 10, 2008
    Wallingford CT
    Thanks All,

Fred

5. I'd love a 5 string Warwick Star Bass, if only they didn't cost more than a new car. Well, ok, maybe they aren't quite that expensive, but it isn't that far off.

I wonder what a "Rockbass" Star Bass would be like...

6. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    Besides the German Star Bass II, we offer the Pro Series Star Bass, which runs quite a bit less. Here are some links of Andy Irvine with the Pro Series Star Bass:

Hope this helps! Please let me know if you've got any questions or need assistance in any way! Thanks!

kkaarrll likes this.
  7. basszoned

basszoned

Dec 10, 2008
    Wallingford CT
    Pro Series Star Bass.

Does that come in a 5 string?

8. +1. I'd love a quality 5 string HB that is 34" scale, at least 18mm spacing and priced for mortals (~$1,000). I dream of a 5 string Lakland HB with non-existent 5 string Dark Stars.

9. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Absolutely! Pro Series Star Bass 5-string, available in Black, Creme White, Daphne Blue, Gold Metallic, and Vintage Sunburst. http://www.warwick.de/modules/produkte/produkt.php?katID=24258

Don't hesitate to let me know if you've got any questions, or if I can assist in any way. Thanks!

girllustrator likes this.
  10. Major builders: see? For some misterious reason, in recent years a lot of beautiful hollowbodies were marketed; decidedly more than during the eighties or nineties. Now, 99,9999% of them being 4 stringed. I suspect that would anybody that came out with a beautiful 4 hb come out with a companion 5 hb, too, they would sell a lot of them. But for now... nothing.

Warwick Official, any more info about the Pro Series Star Bass V? I have sought long and large here in Italy (biggest shops, whole net, Mercatinomusicale.com) but could not find any:?? Colors? Lined fretless? Average street price in Italy/Europe? Thanks...

:) V.

EDIT: just saw your answer above! But about average price/availability? Fretless is lined? Will they have it at Thomann in the near future?

11. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    For Italy, our Dealer Search ( http://www.warwick.de/modules/distribution/map.php?katID=24123&&cl=EN) shows this:

http://www.ekomusicgroup.com/warwick

The Pro Series Star Basses are offered in the Black, Creme White, Daphne Blue, Gold Metallic, and Vintage Sunburst. Fretless is available featuring a Tigerstripe Ebony fingerboard, unlined. MSRP pricelists can be found here: http://www.warwick.de/modules/infos/info.php?rndtop&katID=14830&&cl=EN Although there is currently not a specific price list for Italy. You would have to check with the dealer/distributor for actual street price. Thanks!

12. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Thomann does have the Star Bass V listed on their website, and can certainly order anything you'd like. For example: http://www.thomann.de/it/warwick_ps_star_bass_5_vsb.htm

Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is anything I can help you with. Thanks!

13. Thanks, man!!! :) V.

14. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
  15. Would love to see more hollow body 5's as well. I just read on G&L's website, they have an L-2000 prototype, with mention of experimenting with an L-2500 hollow body. Let's hope this pans out for the better!

16. yes, but REAL hollows are the 175/335 style ones. And for these there is the plain desert, as for fivers!! Here below the beautiful Jonas Hellborg signature; another beautiful 32" hb, but again only available as a 4 strings (btw: to buy it you better open a mortgage....)

:rolleyes:

2942043471_b2425fe1b0_o.

Note: this bass has the overall look of a hb, but it is heavy and has a deep/solid centerblock. In reality it is more of a solid body...

17. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140