1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5 String Spacing Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassBeginer64, Feb 5, 2019.

1. BassBeginer64

BassBeginer64 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    What is average 5 String Spacing on the Bridge?
    Right now my set up is at 16.5mm I would like to go to 19mm?
    Neck width is 45mm 1.772" wide - Chinese Bass

2. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    It varies from brand to brand and model to model. I like 19mm spacing but can adjust to as narrow as 17.5mm

3. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    What bass are you talking about?

Readjusting from 16.5mm to 19mm seems like a big ask for your bass. At 19mm you might be pushing the strings to the very edge of the fretboard.

If this is your first bass, maybe you are at the upgrade stage?

4. BassBeginer64

BassBeginer64 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    Thinking 18 mm - Just having issues playing with 16.5 mm spacing - this is a ChinaBass so yes a up grade toy is all, going to measure the soap box pick up to see if 18 mm to 18.5 mm will work, does not seem worth up grading if max spacing is 17.5 mm

5. tink9975

tink9975

Aug 10, 2006
    MoCo, MD
    I like 18 or 17.5, but for me nut width is more important, anything over 1 3/4 and its uncomfortable for long gigs.

lowdownthump likes this.
  6. Ironbar

Ironbar Banned

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    Surprisingly, I find the string spacing on the Squier 5 string basses to be quite comfortable. Thinking seriously about buying one of the new Classic Vibe 5 stringers.

7. Bshort0918

Bshort0918

Dec 20, 2017
    Is there a TB thread that compares string spacing (at the bridge) of various 5 string basses? I found the nut width thread which was very helpful and now looking for bridge string spacing thread. Thanks anyone.