1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"'51 Jazz with a Ric touch" design for future build. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ObeyDaRiffness, Feb 1, 2019.

1. ObeyDaRiffness

ObeyDaRiffness

Sep 25, 2016
    In the last months together with my father, who's a carpenter and a wood engraver (and a musician) we started building a guitar kind of just for the hell of it with a piece of cherrywood and it actually came off as a nice and working instrument even with Squier Affinity hardware and pickups, so it seems to me the next logical step would be building a bass, right?
    After toying with some designs I came up with this, which heavily drags inspiration from the pretty obscure Robin Jaybird (boy what a name) bass, by a japanese import company endorsed by Jimmy Vaughan among others, (which I used as a template in fact, using the only photo of that bass I could find online) and I think it looks pretty neat. The F-hole is going to be "fake", we're just gonna take off a little wood around its shape like 1 cm at most. It's gonna be fretless for sure, with stacked volumes, a r-way switch and a ToneStyler 10 tone control. Going in the direction of an EMG GZR p pickup, not entirely sure about the J. Can the GZR J get that sweet true single coil jaco-ish sound?

Attached Files:

bobyoung53 likes this.
  2. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Nice! Is the streak on the forearm area an F-hole?

3. ObeyDaRiffness

ObeyDaRiffness

Sep 25, 2016
    Yeah I forgot to mention it, yes it's a Ric f hole slapped on for the hell of it

knumbskull likes this.
  4. ObeyDaRiffness

ObeyDaRiffness

Sep 25, 2016
    Some dude with taste on FB sent me a cool variant if my design I think It's worth showing, I really like it a whole lot.

Attached Files:

5. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    What the variant is just swooping the pickguard below the p pickup?

I think I like the first one better unless I’m looking at it reversed

6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Sorry, but these kinds of mashups always looks like :poop: , to me.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  7. ObeyDaRiffness

ObeyDaRiffness

Sep 25, 2016
    Yeah, the Ric hole is a personal perversion of mine, but without it I think it's acceptable for most people's standards of kitschness
    Yeah, it's a small detail but i think it gives it a rather nice smoothness and flow. I won't do mine it that fashion but cool nonenthless

Attached Files:

8. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Ever heard the adage: a giraffe is a horse designed by a committee? Lots of different elements going on here.

Having said that, I'm all for everyone reaching for their own goals & objectives. More power to you and look forward to the final results.

9. ObeyDaRiffness

ObeyDaRiffness

Sep 25, 2016
    I don't really think so. The cream pickup covers are going to blend with the wood a lot more than in the pic (it's almost yellow here), The fingerboard is plain and there are few controls, the only really kinda freaky part is how the pickguard touches the pickuo but I like it.