Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5th shapes

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by fivesevenoh, Oct 21, 2003.

1. So no matter what string you are playing the root on, the 5th will be 2 frets higher on the next highest string.

does this only apply to standard tuning?
    or does this work with any tuning?

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Only when the strings are tuned in 4ths.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

which is standard tuning for anyone that might not know that :)

rather, E-A-D-G is 4ths

4. hmm okay then...

so if I am tuned to B-D-A-D-G....

where is the 5th located from the root, if my low E is dropped to D?

5. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    From your B string the fifth above it would be one fret back instead of two up on the detuned string. Roots on the detuned string will have a fifth directly above. Why would you detune like that? You already have a low B. Seems kinda confusing and pointless to me...

6. ClarkW

ClarkW

Aug 1, 2003
    Provo, UT. USA
    I use that tuning on a song that my guitarist wrote in drop-D tuning that has a number of riffs that are basically impossible to play otherwise, mostly because he loves ascending scales hammering on from and pulling off to an open string, like this:

Code:
    G -----------------------------------
    D -----------------------------------
    A -----------------------------------
    D 3-0-5-0-7-0-8-0-10-0-12-0-10-0-12-0 
    B -----------------------------------

Try playing that as 16th notes at 120bpm while fretting all the Ds at the 3rd fret on the B-string. :)

7. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I see! Ok so maybe its not so pointless. :bag:

8. thanks.

word. it gets annoying to keep fretting the third on the B. so i dropped my E to D to keep up with his speed.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Not if the chord in question has a flattened fifth or sharp fifth - if for example, the song/tune you are playing, includes a half-diminished chord.

10. hmm could you please explain what a half-diminished chord is?

11. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    1-3b-5b-7b Also known as minor flat 5 or minor 7 flat 5.

Example: E half diminished chord (Em7b5) will have E-G-Bb-D.

Im pretty sure about this... someone please correct me if Im wrong! :cool:

12. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    A half diminished chord included a b5 and b7. If you're playing in drop D you're probably playing some variant of rock so I doubt you'll run into them too often ;) You've got the right idea though. Just remember the fifth is up (in pitch) by one fret if it's augmented and down by one fret if it's diminished. The best way to get used to the "odd" dropped D is by playing scales starting with a note on it. Eventually it will become second nature and you won't have to think about it.

p.s. in doing arpeggios with drop D I find it more comfortable to do the 3rd also on the D string to avoid strange stretches.