1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

6/8 not 3/4?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by fishcake, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Just wondering, why would a composer write a piece in 6/8 instead of 6/4 or 3/4? It seems useless to me. I searched around here, and found some quasi-answers, things like "it has an eighth note feel" or whatever, but if eighth notes get the beat in 6/8, then what's the difference? Please excuse my lack of knowledge and such, i tried to get into music theory class but didn't. :meh:

2. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    3/4 is to 6/8,, much like 4/4 is to cut time.. aka 2/2... The actual tempo is much slower in 6/8... specifically,, twice as slow.

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Nothing to excuse: if you don't ask, you won't know. The real main difference between the two is that the basic pulse in 6/8 is different from that in 3/4. In 3/4, there are are typically three main beats, on the three quarter notes, or every other eighth note, if you look at it that way. In 3/4, the six eighth notes are felt (I'm simplifying a bit) this way: DA da DA da DA da. In 6/8, however, there are usually only *two* main beats in the bar, on the first and fourth eighth notes: DA da da DA da da. In a way, 6/8 is closer to 2/4 than to 3/4: you could think of it as being like 2/4 but with a triplet feel (meaning the main beat is subdivided into threes rather than twos or fours). In the same way, 12/8 has four main beats and thus is like 4/4 with a triplet feel, and 9/8 has three main beats and thus is like 3/4 with a triplet feel. Again, I'm simplifying a good bit, and things aren't always this simple, but what I'm telling you works in a lot of situations.

ANyway, if I've made this at all clear, you can see that there could be a very concrete reason for writing something in 6/8 rather than 3/4.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Good explanation, Richard.
    I think you've touched on why 6/8 over 4/4(polyrhythm) works so well.

Fishcake-
    For S's & G', here's the 6/8 clave for your tapping pleasure(good for when stuck in traffic, annoying your girlfriends, etc)-
    TAP WHAT'S IN THE BOLD TYPE

LEFT Hand(the PULSE; the 1st & 4th beats mentioned by Richard)-
    /123456/123456/

RIGHT Hand(the 6/8 CLAVE)-
    /123456/123456/

If you note, it's a 2-bar pattern.
    It's also good practice to reverse the bars(play bar-2 first & bar-1 second).
    Hasta...

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    That's not true. 3/4 is not to 6/8 as 4/4 is to 2/2.

There's not necessarily any different to the tempo, is the feel that's different. Richard explained it well, but basically, while 3/4 is:

1 2 2 2 3 2

6/8 is:

1 2 3 4 5 6

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's right - I've played a few Latin or Afro-Cuban 6/8 tunes and they are really different in feel to a Waltz or Jazz 3/4 swing tune.

Afro Cuban 6/8 can be quite "driving" with insistent percussion - while 3/4 Jazz is often light and floaty.

6/8 clave
    The original form of the clave, it can be played with a 3-2 or a 2-3 pattern.

[​IMG]
    6/8 clave played in 4/4 with triplets
    [​IMG]

7. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Intersting stuff. certinaly re-inforced my understanding.

Of the many bands I'm in, I've ever encountered 3/4, 6/8 and 12/8. I was surprised how very different they feel.

8. That was just what I was thinking. I play metal and use both 6/8 and 3/4 and you really hit it right on with the "driving feeling" of 6/8. 3/4 is more smoothe and flowing.

9. Wow, thanks guys, I think I get it for the most part now. And thanks to Jimk for a new way to annoy the hell out of everybody. :D