1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

6 string bass decision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MC_Cancer, Apr 19, 2010.

1. I have a choice of an Ibanez sr506 for $689 new or a yamaha john myung signature the first edition for $550 used.

I'd like the bass to be as versitile as possible. I would also be slaping and playing finger style.

What bass would work better for me?

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. makanudo

makanudo

Dec 26, 2008
    I have an Sr505 and its a great bass.

I dont know anything about the JM signature bass but i bet its a great bass also..

3. gregwatts2008

gregwatts2008 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Jupiter, Florida
    Only you can make that call.
    My advise would be to spend time with as many different 6 string basses as you can get your hands on, decide which one works for you, and pull the trigger.

4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Yamaha. Much better construction. And when's the last time you saw JM playing the Ibanez?

"Yamaha, it's what the pros choose." :)

5. So it looks like the john myung would be better how would it be for slapping though? I hear the string spacing is very tight I've played the ibanez it was ok how much tighter is the yamaha?

6. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    The Yamaha is pretty tight, as John's not a slapper. Also I found the body to be a little on the large side.

7. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Ibanez is also notorious for tight spacing. I'd say they're probably both the same. You'll have to learn to slap differently regardless.

Also, the larger body makes for a bass that balances much better than any of the Ibanez SR 6-strings I've ever played.

8. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    Frankly I'm not a huge fan of either, but if I had to go with one, I'd go with the JM Sig no doubt.

9. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    IIRC the string spacing on the Yamaha is a tad bit wider than the Ibanez.

The Yamaha is much heavier and quite a bit wider and thicker so that may be a concern for some.

10. I'm not worried about the size of the neck. I play 8 string guitars so I'm used to large necks it's just the string spacing im worried about. Because I love the sound of slapping so I want to make sure it wont be a chore on the bass I buy.

11. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    If you're new on the 6 then i'd go with the used bass - better resale value than the new one, if you decide it isn't for you.

Quality wise i know the Ibanez is a good bass, you'll need to see if the JM has any glaring faults when trying it out.

12. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Like I said, any 6-string will have a bit of a learning curve when learning to slap on it. It's going to be a "chore" regardless of 16mm or 20mm.

13. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    I was not talking about the neck, the body on the Yamaha is the thickest I have ever seen on any bass.