60's jazz

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by sal paradise, Nov 2, 2004.

1. sal paradise

sal paradise

Aug 12, 2004
    Someone recomend a good jazz trio from the sixties, thanks.
  2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Other than the Bill Evans Trio?
  3. Bill Evans with Scott LaFaro and or Eddie Gomez are pretty amazing, there's also a great duo album with - guitarist- Jim Hall and Evans called 'Undercurrent' that is wonderful, I'm not so sure about Jarrett arounf this period but most of his ECM group albums are worth getting - also Miles' classic Quintet with Tony Williams, Ron Carter, Wayne Shorter and Herbie is incredible - also if you can find some Herbie did some awesome stuff too...but don't let the 60s be your only era for gawd's sake. Sonny Rollins would be another logical starting point.
  4. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Here are some suggestions for the period 1955-1965:

You can't really go too far wrong with any Blue Note releases from the 50s and 60s.

EDIT: Not sure why you're only interested in 60s trios, but Chick Corea's 'Now He Sings, Now He Sobs' is a classic.
  5. I idn't check that list out, so I don't know if any of Oscar Peterson's trios are in it... especially those with Ray Brown.

Nor do I know if Ramsey Lewis' trio is there. They were kind of a crossover act before crossover even existed-- check out their famous version of The In Crowd.

OK, I went to the list, finally-- and didn't see either Oscar or Ramsey. So there you go. Mind you those records on that list are also must-haves.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Ermmm...how exactly does that qualify as a trio!!?? ;)

Ahmad Jamal trio - classic!

I also like Horace Silver's trios - although he is obviously more famous for bands with two horns!
  8. The bonus cuts on the CD are really nice. I really liked the uptempo version of "Pannonica" and their version of "My One and Only Love" with a very understated melody.
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well...that's what the original poster asked !! He may have some very good and valid reasons - like his CD collection is short in this area, although he has lots of quintets,quartets etc. ? He may be playing in a trio and wants to get that 60s vibe... ?

Trio gigs I go to at Brighton Jazz club are very different from quartets and quintets....

Could be any number of reasons!! :)
  10. Duke Ellington- Money Jungle (w/ Mingus and Roach)
  11. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Ahmad Jamal is one of my favorites. I just never tire of his work.
    Also, what about Andre Previn? Didn't he have jazz trios or quartets in the sixties or did his jazz work come in the 70s?
  12. floydman

floydman Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    check out the jeff hamilton trio they're poppin
  13. Dennis Kong

Dennis Kong Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2004
    San Mateo CA
    Some 60's Piano Trios you might want to check out:
    ( I have 'em in my collection)
    Red Garland- with Paul Chambers,Doug Watkins, Jimmy Rowser, Sam Jones, etc
    Live at Prelude
    Bright & Breezy
    Can't See For Lookin'
    Satin Doll

Ahmad Jamal with Jamal Nasser
    At The Pershing

Bud Powell with Paul Chambers
    The Scene Changes
    BN Vol 1 & 2

Bud Powell with Ray Brown
    Jazz Giant- Verve

Herbie Nichols-
    The 3rd World - BN

Elmo Hope-
    BN ,Beacon, Prestige releases.

Hampton Hawes with Red Mitchell
    The Trio Vol 1-3 Contemporary

Wynton Kelly with Oscar Pettiford
    New Faces & New Sounds- BN

Wynton Kelly with Paul Chambers
    Kelly at Midnite - Vee Jay

Eddie Costa-
    House of Blue Lights- Decca- very hard to find...

Hope this helps