1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

640 watts for an 810 cab

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by carpetdoor, Aug 6, 2012.

1. carpetdoor

carpetdoor

Aug 5, 2012
  2. this is fine as long as you have the power to run it all... :)

3. carpetdoor

carpetdoor

Aug 5, 2012
    I should do i have abm klystron 500.
    My main concern was to whether it would react like the 810's i know which are ampeg and the old mag810 which was 800 watts or if the lower rating would effect the sound

4. you want to have the ability to give the amp the power its required to operate at its nominal level. you aren't ever going to get its nominal/designed tone.

the power is relative. for example (a head at 500w) unless you run all your volume at 100% you aren't giving the cab 500w. so if its being run at 50% master volume, at max you would be giving it 250w.

most newer amps are much better at giving you tone at lower levels. but what i would do is take in your head into the shop and test it with it to see if it gives you the tone you are looking for. its always best.

i know that its a bit random for me to suggest anything for you considering you are looking into the ampeg, but take a look at hte TC electronic cabs. they are really nice and punchy, and good on performance.

5. It doesn't work this way.

6. you are right in that it doesn't work this way EXACTLY because the power fluctuates depending on volume and how low you go, and works a lot more on current draw versus watts specifically. however explaining these things in an easy to understand way for most people this is how i've explained it. not 100% accurate but its near enough...

7. ;)I read somewhere you will blow the speakers if you under power them

8. Still no....................

Knob position means absolutely nothing.

*Most* amps are putting out their max LONG before the knob is turned all the way up (in fact many amps are maxed out around "noon" on the volume knob).

"Maxing" out an amp can result in twice the rating of the amp being delivered.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Troublemaker :p