'66 dot/bound J tribute

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JIO, Aug 8, 2013.

1. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    So here's a list of the ways my early '66 "tribute" J will not be a "replica". If one wanted something to hang on the wall in a glassed case, (which I wouldn't) one could get fussy.., but this bass is going to be played. :bassist:

1) 70's-80's 3-ply pg (for now anyway until I find one that is better)
    2) split-coil pu's (Lindy Fralin - love um')
    3) preamp (super-tone)
    4) no plastic knobs (the Fender split J's won't work on my Audere set-up)
    5) slotted brass nut (I'm a fan of brass nuts)
    6) misc details (not even worth mentioning)
    7) ebony tug-bar (Guy Lewis)

I will be stringing her (trying out the anthropomorphism ;)) w/La Bella flats instead of my beloved GHS Precision flats because I want medium LS 45-65-85-105 and GHS only does that in their LS+ (good for string-thru) This is going to be one sweet bass!

2. Splods

Splods

Oct 7, 2012
    Adelaide, SA
    I really want to know what a dot and bound maple neck would look like with black bindings.

3. Splods

Splods

Oct 7, 2012
    Adelaide, SA
    Style: JBass®
    Scale: 34 in.
    Neck Wood:
    $180.00 USD

Shaft Wood: Maple
    Fingerboard Wood: Maple

Stiffening Rods: Standard Steel Rods
    + $0.00
    Orientation: Right Handed
    + $0.00
    Nut Width: 1 1/2"
    + $0.00
    Back Shape: Slim Taper
    + $35.00
    Radius: Straight 10"
    + $0.00
    # of Frets: 21
    + $0.00
    Fret Size: 6150
    + $0.00
    Tuner Ream: BML
    + $0.00
    Inlays:
    + $0.00

Inlays: Black Face Dots
    Side Dots: White Side Dots

Pre-Cut Installed String Nut: Black Corian
    + $25.00
    Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Bolt
    + $0.00
    Binding: Black
    + $110.00
    Finish: Vint Tint Satin Nitro
    + $105.00
    Price: $455.00

Warmoth is quite the tempter

4. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    :bassist: Solid Splods! - that I would like to see! I'd go as far to say you would have the only one like it! Would it be a solid 1 piece maple neck or a maple capped maple neck? If capped, w/or w/o skunk stripe? What body is it going to be on? (P?, J?, other?) Body colour? Black hardware?

That's a very good price - with finishing mine will come to over that.

5. Splods

Splods

Oct 7, 2012
    Adelaide, SA
    Still thinking about investing in it, money isn't the best around here right now.

I would probably do it CAR jazz with a cream guard.

Definitely thinking of it for my next project.

6. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    I hear you - a day will come :bassist:

7. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    While waiting on the neck (any day now) I aquired a '92 "boner" Jazz. Back then they were called American Standards I think. It has 22 frets and a modified body design w/a longer upper horn (hence "boner") and the TBX tone pot. Needs some sorting but all & all a very cool "modern" passive USA J. And it's red... :bassist:

abqpbyUt.jpg

8. Your photos stopped showing up.
    They were working as of last week but aren{t anymore.
    Is it this computer or your image host?

9. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    I was having pics not show up a earlier in the week but as of right now they are all there. I use imgbox and I can imagine they have issues on occasion as so many people use their hosting.

10. Subscribed mate - looking good.

11. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    It's funny because I started out long ago a dyed in the wool T-bird guy and these days I just love Fender Jazz basses! I can't get enough of them (actually I now have 3 - the red boner, my Supersonic and this ex-Signature/now '66 rep) Actually they will all play and sound really different, even if they are essentially all J's.

I own a '92 VFR 750 (pearl white) I first saw a pic of it in '94 and said "this is an awesome bike!" I bought that production year two years later and still have/ride it. The VFR is like a Fender Jazz - a super solid and beautiful tool built for many happy miles.

12. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    Since starting this project, there's been a few twists and turns. First it was all about the neck, then it grew into a tribute to an iconic instrument, and as time passes the concept keeps evolving.

Lately I've been missing my Signature J. This is my '89 natural alder string-thru Fender lawsuit J copy that I pictured earlier in my thread. I pulled the neck off of it for my Jaguar P/J and I was going to gut it and put all the parts on my '66 tribute. I've changed my mind. I'm going to put the neck back on my beloved mongrel and return it to it's former glory. It has deep old-school creamy tone and I miss that in my life!

With the Sig J holding down the active-J category in my life, and the red boner filling the TBX-toned passive growler slot, that leaves the '66 project open to go passive, like the original. I'll assemble a harness in the mode of a 60's J, and put in some Fender Super 88's (split-coil J's) that I already ordered for another project. (I like hum-free pu's) So instead of "tribute", it will return to "replica" status as it will pretty much look like an early '66 dot & bound J. And the sound? We'll just have to wait and hear.

The Jag will eventually be reassembled w/another neck - possibly one made for it. (back burner for now) I ordered some cool tuners for it that are lighter and should help balance it better. The red "boner" J balances so well it's put a spotlight on the Jag's tendency to neck-dive.

The '66 neck (hopefully) will return this coming week.

13. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    The neck will arrive from Pat this coming Thursday. :hyper: In the meantime I found a CTS potted/cloth-wired complete J electronics harness on ebay (w/plate & knobs) and it'll be here on Monday. Also ordered an "F" neck-plate and a bone nut. There is an actual '66 "F" neck plate w/serial #'s on ebay but I would not spend that kind of money on a neck plate unless I had an actual '66 that needed one. (and even then I'd have a hard time justifying it) The Fender Super 88's arrived and look really good. The covers have a subtle grey "S" and the words "Split-Coil" on them, but it's not blaring so I'm leaving it. (can barely see it from a short distance away) What I have decided to do is put a 1966 penny in the CNC hole in the neck pocket. (which is a perfect fit) Sort of a time-capsule to give it something that was made in that year. I haven't run one down yet so if anyone has one...

abocZQvQ.jpg

So once the neck arrives it gets assembled. (playable by next weekend's rehearsal)

14. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    Sorted through my (a few dollars worth) penny stash last night and found forty-seven years of pennies - every year starting w/1960 to 2013 EXCEPT, '62, '63 and (wait for it) '66!

I had to laugh! :D

15. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    Got the harness. Nicely done!

adothvwr.jpg

abtbx2x3.jpg

...and shortly after, installed -

[​IMG]

Yes I know.., yet another Fender Olympic white/tort Jazz bass - seen one, seen um' all. Just wait until later in the week...

16. Splods

Splods

Oct 7, 2012
    Adelaide, SA
    Don't forget to drill holes for where the neck pickup cover should be :p

17. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    Yes.., quite so - even if I never install one. :rolleyes: It's funny because back in the day everyone tossed the covers on basses. That's why so many vintage basses - those that were played, are missing the covers. I still am torn between full-access and a bridge cover - especially on a Jazz bass. (for me, never a neck cover - never) I play over the bridge pu as much as the neck and so if they were both covered!?! The big "F" ashtray cover is classic/cool looking but is a functional compromise. I never understood the loss of available fingering real estate w/both neck and bridge covers on.

[​IMG]

But that's not to say it could work for someone else... ;)

18. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    The neck will be "in the house" on Saturday late in the day. Will be playing the early '66 Jazz Bass replica on Sunday! :bassist::bassist::bassist: When I can be dragged away from it kicking and screaming from my newest acquisition, the red '92 American Standard "Boner" Jazz bass , a detailed report is ensuing.

19. Splods

Splods

Oct 7, 2012
    Adelaide, SA
    I really like P bass bridge covers. I don't palm mute, and I find resting my arm on it works well for slap.

20. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    I agree. An uncovered bridge needs to be very "palm-friendly". I don't slap, but I do palm-mute... and I also rest my hand on the bridge cover. P-bass covers compromise less playing space and provide a smooth hand-rest.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021