1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

6mm x 1 Bridge Adjusters

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Mgaisbacher, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Mgaisbacher

Mgaisbacher Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    Wondering if anyone knows where to find a set of 6mm x 1 adjusters? Seems like the normal places only seem to have the standard 1/4-20

Long story short, I'm getting a pickup installed in my current bridge that I need to ship it for, I have my old bridge that was on this bass but it had a 6mm x 1 full circle in it that I sold a while back, So i have the old bridge and feet but no adjusters to hold it together. Just need to use the old bridge for about a week so ideally would like to spend as little as possible on the temporary adjusters.

2. If you cannot find them in the US, you might get them from Thomann in Germany.

3. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    That's a tough one. Fishman would likely sell you a pair of plain adjusters without the pickup. Alternatively you could get some metric bolts or threaded rod from McMaster and cut to length. Not elegant, but should work.

keiranhohara likes this.
  4. bengreen

bengreen

Jan 26, 2016
    San Diego
    I would go with robobass but think you possibly can source locally. M6x1, looking at the tap & die charts, appears to be a standard metric thread. Meaning a decent sized hardware or automotive supply might carry it.

Many bolts have both a threaded and smoothe portion along their length.

If you're handy with a hack saw or jeweler's saw, you could take that bolt, saw off the top, soften the resulting sharp edges with sandpaper, thread a nut onto it to act as a platform/adjustment, and have something that looks and functions similar to the more common adjuster design (threaded on one end/smoothe on the other).

If you go with threaded rod, the trick is turning it into a possibly tight fitting hole in the wood. If you just grab it with pliers, you crush the threads. You can instead thread two nuts onto the rod, rotate them against each other until they lock, then you have something you can grip.

robobass likes this.
  5. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Yes, 1mm is the most common thread pitch for 6mm. I also thought of finding a partially threaded bolt, but didn't find it at McMaster. I bet an auto parts store would have it. Good idea. If you do find it, then you could just tighten a nut at the end of the thread where the non-threaded part starts. Make it really tight and you could use a wrench to make adjustments. Jamming two nuts together might be too thick.
    Also, a good way to finish the cut ends is to chuck the screw into a cordless drill and spin it against a file, or a grinding wheel if you have one.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  6. Mgaisbacher

Oct 18, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    Actually I figured it out.... embarrassingly enough it's not the metric threads I originally thought, It was just 5/16ths, which is less common (to my knowledge in the US) but still some shops use it. I actually work in a shop (we use 1/4 20 threads for all our adjusters) and happened across a set of 5/ 16ths that fit!

Thanks for all the info though, now I know what I would do if I were ever in that situation!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  7. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

'Murican Excellence!
    (5/16 x 18 is the Coarse version; 5/16 x 24 is the Fine version.)

8. Mgaisbacher

Oct 18, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    Yeah I think these are the coarse version, whatever the 5/16ths Full circle is

Don Kasper likes this.