1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

$700 to spend on a bass... Some advice needed!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zangetsu, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Zangetsu

Zangetsu

Sep 14, 2008
    I'm dying on the inside looking for a new bass, I've been playing an ESP LTD B-50 for the last 5 years, think its time to upgrade. All I'm concerned with is:

• Fast thin neck (VERY important the way I'm playing at the moment).
    • Access past the 17th fret is essential.
    • And good reliability as I'm gigging every second day.

Obviously I want a big durty growl out of her aswell :p

The style of music I'd be playing is anything from QOTSA, Placebo, Death from Above, Cure, Electro and Electronica.

So far my eyes have strayed across and ESP LTD B-4E, and Ibanez BTB670, a Cort B4 SP LTD and a Cort T74. Any other suggestions or opinions on what I've been looking at?

I'd really appreciate your help on this as I'm tearing my hair out at this stage...

2. prokfrog

prokfrog

Mar 16, 2007
    new jersey
    Look at Schecter

3. King V

King V

Dec 13, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Any of the ones you mentioned are good choices for your budget. May I also recommend an Ibanez Soundgear or a Dean B2. There is a Dean B2 over at the lowend as we speak for $400.....a steal since it's basically a Peavy BQuad, just not quite as cool....and without the Modulus made graphite neck.

4. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    The new Sterling by MM line should be available shortly. Also, the G&L Tribute line is very good in this price range. A Tribute L-2000 is an alternative worth checking out. Of course, I should probably point out that $700 will get you a VERY nice used instrument that will be a few notches better than you will be able to get new for that price. So, consider the TB classifieds as well and see what you can get there. Maybe something nicer than the ones you are looking at.

Of all the ones you are looking at, I like the Ibanez the most.

5. Zangetsu

Zangetsu

Sep 14, 2008
    I was just offered a mint condition Fender Precision Bass Lyte Deluxe from 1986, any good?

Thanks for the replies so far!

6. Definately see if you can snap up and Ibanez SR (Soundgear). The 500 model is amazing, enge neck, super thin fast neck, good pickups, just a really great bass all around. Most of the ibanez soundgears are.
    Maybe a used jazz? Or get a squier vintage 70s modified or whatever for $300 and then throw on some new pickups (SD Quarter Pounders) and either new electronics or a badass II. That's what i did and it kicks ass.

Honestly though i'd say just hit up the music stores, especially their used sections, pawn shops, etc. Find the best playing bass for you!

GOOD LUCK!

7. buy a used 90s warwick - the bolt-ons have been selling in your price range and the wenge necks from that era are shallow, thin and fast (nothing like the current neck profiles). A ridiculously good bass for the money

8. King V

King V

Dec 13, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Not if you're really wanting a fast thin neck. I've always considered those necks as baseball bats. Then again, I'm used to extremeley thin, flat necks.

9. MikeyB

MikeyB

Aug 16, 2006
    Sykesville, MD
    G&L Tribute series as mentioned before.

10. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    the latest Yamaha RBX.

11. King V

King V

Dec 13, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I'm telling you man....

http://www.thelowend.net/thelowend/used-basses.html

The Dean B2 is a highly under rated, very cool bass with lots of tonal options. Piezo system and all. Use the $300 you have left over and throw in a set of Nordy's or Delano's and this thing will shred. Plus it's got the fret accessability and the fast thin neck you were looking for.

Also take a look at a G&L 2500, you may be able to find one in your budget. They kill pretty hard.

12. broadblik

broadblik

Aug 10, 2008
    Sheffield, UK
    +1

13. Mazatleco17

Mazatleco17

Mar 27, 2008
    +1

14. 44-01 or 44-02 for my vote, but in that price range there are a ton of really nice options. I just want to congratulate you on your luck for having 700 bucks to go bass shopping!

15. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    ++++1

16. mullet0909

mullet0909

Oct 24, 2006
    Louisiana
    Ibanez basses are going to have fast neck because they are made for metal. They feel great and sound great too. But if you want fast neck and growly, I would look at a used spector (feel great and growly as balls), or get a shecter. Schecters come with the passive emg pickups, which are ok but lack that active emg edge. I upgraded mine to the emg-dc's (active) and now my Schecter has lots of growl. I bought 2 of those pickups on here for $100 bucks, was able to install them myself, and was one of the best decisions of my life. ;)

17. I would say the Spectors I've played have more of a chunky neck than an Ibanez which is slightly thinner front to back and flatter in the radius.

As a shameless plug, buy my P bass. It's got a nice quick neck.

18. Timlr

Timlr

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicago
    +1. It would probably be worth checking out some Lakland Skyline stuff... Nice necks, great sound, best thing for the money in my opinion. And if you go used you could probably find something great for under $700.

19. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

20. Stee Flo

Stee Flo

Dec 7, 2007
    VA
    Yeah I also would recommend a Lakland 44 or 55-01 in that price. The necks are very smooth and fast to play and the deep cutaway lets you access the high frets with ease.