Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

70's Ampeg V4

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nelson Wires, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Nelson Wires

Nelson Wires

Apr 14, 2004
    I just got a hold of an Ampeg V4 for free!!!! It needs new tubes, but other than that it is great. It's pretty beat up, but it has the best tone in the world. It's running through two fifteens and I want to know what brand these speakers are. They have goofy old square magnets, but they sure do sound awesome.

Any info at all?

Nelson

2. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Good Score........! Hagn on to it. It sounds all original. You prolly need a cap job more than tubes. It is not uncommon to have Old tubes last 30 years. Someone will know what speakers they are.

3. until.tomorrow

until.tomorrow Guest

May 5, 2003
    US - Milwaukee
    Do you play in a band with those 2 15's? If so how does the V4 hold up volume wise? I've played a V4b and loved it and heard that the V4 is almost the exact same thing but a little cheap (and in your case MUCH cheaper!!!)

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Can you read any of the markings on the speaker magnets?

Is the speaker cabinet an Ampeg as well? During that era Ampeg used CTS speakers, but they may have used others too.

See if you can find any markings on the magnets and let us know what they are.

5. braun-jovi

braun-jovi

Mar 25, 2004
    Evansville, IN
    i use one (v-4bh, the new one) in a pretty loud rock band. not the loudest, but we're not bashfull. it's loud enough for sure, but then i must add that i push it pretty hard. oh, by the way, i use a 2x10 and 2x12 set up to compete with a drummer and a guitar player using a bassman 100 combo with 4x10's. he's pushing it pretty hard as well. hope this helps. oh and by the way again, most people seem to think the v4 is cheaper and, "better" than the newer ones. i don't have any experience with the older ones, but i'm REALLY enjoying my amp.

6. Square magnet = CTS (Chicago Telephone Supply), later CTS became Eminence, I think. There should be a 137-xxx date code on the back of the magnet.

Chris

7. Nelson Wires

Nelson Wires

Apr 14, 2004
    The only markings on the speakers are as follows:
    1580-035
    67-7818

I don't know what this means, but maybe somebody knows.

If they are CTS, that's good to know, but the number you mentioned isn't right.

I hooked the cabinet up in my van to my Rockford Fosgate Amp to see how much pure boom they would put out. These things are amazing! I'm not really into noisy rumble, but these were great. The low, low end was outstanding and they were way clearer than I expected out of two old 15's.

8. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    67 = eminence

7818 = manufactured the 18th week of 1978

9. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    137 is CTS, but they haven't made MI speakers for a long while.

Yes 67 is Eminence, yes to the date code.

The 67 and 137 etc is the EIA manufacturer's number. One link giving many of the more useful codes is here:

http://www.rexrobards.com/ampco/date_code.html

There may be another, it was the first i came to. Somewhere I have a listing in an EIA book.

Eminence was founded by an ex-CTS engineer, and is currently run by his son. Good people.

10. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    I had a v9
    I loved that amp.
    Good score, hang onto it :(