Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

70's CTS speaker problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 8mmOD, Jul 8, 2005.

1. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    All of the CTS 10's in my 73 SVT 810 work. 9 of them are clear & articulate, but one of them sounds "fuzzy". when i play a note i can hear the note, but it goes fuzzzzzzzz. the other speakers are very clear sounding, this one isnt. I don't see any tears in it, but there was an obvious repair made at one point, it has a purple colored glue around the cone. Maybe the cone is not sealed properly? any ideas?

2. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
  3. thedoctor

thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    Dude, you overheated a voice coil. I can't believe how lucky you are to have such old CTSs and only ONE has failed. As long as it still makes noise, although buzzy, the other speakers in the impedence map of this cab are not gonna get hurt. I would, however, replace it ASAP. Bet it has a sound when all of em are up-to-snuff, don't it?

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That glue may indicate a recone at some point; it definetely needs one now. Seek out a reconing service.

5. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I believe they were all reconed before I bought the cab. I bought the cab & head together but really just needed the head, so I haven't really put the cab through a heavy workout yet. The cab sounded good when I played it at low volumes, so hopefully it is just the one speaker that is bad.

I actually just scored one '72 & three '76 CTS 10's off ebay for $125 (for all 4 of them). I wont get rid of any of the matching original set, but this was cheaper than reconing.... if the replacements hold up.