1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

73 P Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cyco739z, Oct 27, 2013.

1. cyco739z

cyco739z

Mar 25, 2013
    Boston
    Boston Ma.
    Hello evry1!
    I just fell in love.
    She's a '73 P Bass in beautiful, well used cond. It's supposed to be all original. the neckplate dayes it at '72 which I hear is common.
    $2,000.00. I know there are many variables when valueing vintage Fenders... but any input? 2 grand is a lot of $ for me.
    Thanks!

2. Itzayana

Itzayana

Aug 15, 2012
    Oakland Ca
    You just said that you fell in love. If you are truly in love $2K is nothing.
    Although, IMHO you can get a lot better bass than a '73 Fender P for 2 grand.
    Like maybe any model Lakland USA for instance.

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

About right if it is all original and has original case.

If you love the bass and have $2k, you aren't getting ripped off by any stretch.

I have a 74 P that I paid $2k for 6-7 years ago. Great bass and mony well spent as I have played the hell out of it.

4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    Price is fair if it is in good condition and original. Just keep in mind that the worst thing you can do is let your emotions decided what you buy and how much you spend. People have a tendency to make purchases emotionally and then try to justify them logically. For example, when buying a car, we generally buy because we like the style, but we tell our family and friends about the gas mileage, reliability, etc.

If you can afford the bass without any financial difficulty the buy it. If you can't really afford it or don't need it, save your money.

5. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    $2K is fair, but for that price I wouldn't want to take any chances. I would surely want to pull the neck and the pickguard to verify originality.

BTW, what color is the bass? Some rare/desirable colors are a bit more valuable.

6. Rob L

Rob L Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Chilly ND
    I agree with most here. 2000.00 for a 73 p that you love is a fair deal. The fact that you said you love it makes it worth the 2 grand price tag.

I have a 73 that I really love, it's beat and ugly but plays and sounds great!

Good luck..

7. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I strongly disagree with the other posters. $2grand is too much money for a '73, unless it's in mint condition, or there's something special about the bass. $2,000 would have been an ok price 5 years ago, but if you're patient, you can find a '73 Precision in the $1,500 range.

8. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    That instrument should appraise for a little more than $2000
    It is a fair deal if you love the instrument and you feel age makes it worth the asking price.

Honestly, I believe the new ones are made much better, hardware is much better . 99% of the tone comes from the player, not the instrument in my opinion. But it is cool to own a 36 year old instrument. It obviously has some history associated with it, probably several owners. That is kind of cool.

9. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    +1 unless there's something special about it that price is too much

10. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Am I missing something... pics??? No pics - no '73

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I got well more than 2K for my 1973 Precision about a year and a half ago.

12. cyco739z

cyco739z

Mar 25, 2013
    Boston
    Boston Ma.
    Thank you to everyone who shared their opinions. The feedback was great!
    I have decided to not buy the bass. At this time, I guess I couldnt justify buying another one until I thin out the herd a bit... & clear up a list of financial obligations first. It would have been an impulse buy which generally comes back to bite. Guess I will give a few bucks to the girl to do some "early" Xmas shopping for the kids. I will try to clear out some gear I rarely use & have some "bass $" on hand for the next time I fall in love.
    Thanks for the advise everyone!

13. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    If you are truly in love (with anything or anyone), you definitely shouldn't be throwing money around and wait for sanity to return.

Amen, and this is coming from a guy with a '73 Precision, too.