1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

75 svt 8x10 to 6x10 ohms..help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DasWolf, Jul 25, 2012.

1. DasWolf

DasWolf

Jul 25, 2012
    PDX
    Hey all, Long time reader first posting.

I have a '75 SVT 8x10 that has 2 speakers out. I wanna remove these speakers but not replace them yet as I dont gig right now. Can I just remove these two speakers and put the bottom functioning ones in their place without any wiring changes? I was doing the ohms law calculations and it seems this cab would become a 5.3load. But, I'm also seeing things that this cab is seperated by two groups of 4x10 then connected in series. Is this correct? Would 4 of the 10's take a harder hit while the other 2 dont?

Thanks!

2. Typical SVT 8-10 uses 32 ohm speakers all in parallel. The cab does two groups of 4 so it would be two groups of 8 ohms each. If you go into the collective input which runs them parallel, your 5.33 ohm idea is correct. If the two dead/sick speakers occupy one of the 4 chambers that are supposed to be sealed and are not connected it ought to work. I would get it fixed as soon as possible, but low level practice would surely be okay.

3. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    If your amp supports 8 ohms, why not just run 4 working speakers, and sidestep any worries that way?

4. DasWolf

DasWolf

Jul 25, 2012
    PDX
    Great! Thanks for your help! I'm definatly going to replace them soon.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If he's using an SVT, it won't.

6. Don't own an SVT, but I think they support 4 and 2 ohms. 5.33 ohms is a mismatch for the 4 ohm tap, but not as much as 8 ohm operation would be. Not matching impedance does make the amp unhappy. Not sufficiently for amp to commit suicide, but there is a reason the taps are adjustable and people work to make sure the load is right.

7. doomloop

doomloop

Mar 1, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I just posted a thread asking about my 8x10 and svt rig. My 8x10 is reading @ 4.2-4.9 and most TB'ers have said it's fine to run the amp on this and Ampeg said the same thing along with plenty of technical jargon about speakers and impedance varying and not being 'perfect', etc....

However, seeing a post like this always brings the issue back to mind...

When I pull any speaker and read it, still connected, I get 3.9...not until I run my speaker cable out do I get the higher reading...

I have been advised to have fun and not worry...which I am doing :bassist:, but I'm always interested in more opinions on this subject...

8. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Your speaker jack (or wire connections) could be a little loose-corroded, and/or the same could be true for your speaker cable.

9. doomloop

doomloop

Mar 1, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Well....for the time being I'm going with the...'it's fine, have fun and play the damn thing' concept...when I get some time I may open 'er up and rewire it....this cab is 16 years old and I think it would benefit from some better wire...looks kinda thin to me...it only has 1 1/4" jack and I think I wanna set it up for the two 8 ohm jacks as well eventually....

Proper speaker wire....another topic that confuses me....aaaargh...:confused: