1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

8-String Bass sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bkfilms, May 3, 2010.

1. bkfilms

bkfilms

May 3, 2010
    Vancouver, BC
    I have an Ibanez 8-string and have never been super happy with the sound. I'm now in a 3-piece and wonder if anyone has any ideas on how to get a fuller sound ( effects, processing, pickups? ) I guess I'm looking for a Cheap Trick kind of sound without having the 12-string. Any thoughts, anyone?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'd suggest bright roundwound strings, and play with a pick. If that doesn't do the job, then I'd look into different pickups--something more sensitive and full-range.

3. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Getting 12 string suggestion to its sound is gonna be quite diff then fuller sound in general. For the former Id suggest either octaver/pitch shifter that also allows for various other note step diff from original tone. Chorus can also be useful for that type of thing in its own way too.

For fuller sound. That can be anything from less trebly strings, to pup adjustment and blending, or just eq. Though if the bass has overly trebly pups then replacement is good. Or if they otherwise lack the fullness of sound you want. Even after pup and preamp eq adjustment.

So, pups are one option. But try adjusting them first for sound tweak. But chorus and or pitch shifter would be more what your looking for to get the effect of more strings being played.

4. Fatter strings would be my first suggestion. It's odd to me that you can't get a full sound with an 8 string bass but then again I've only played one, ever. :D

5. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Biamp (1 guitar, one bass amp) and distortion should do the trick. At least, that's how i would do it.

If you want a 12-string sound from a 8-string, could try a chorus.

6. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    Or a EH POG. I get a great 8 string simulated sound using mine with my 4 strings.

7. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    There's an Ibanez 8-string bass? :confused:

8. Nobody

Nobody Banned

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
    They have made them in the past, so there are actually more than one.

OOD likes this.
  9. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I spent many years playing a Hagstrom 8-string before moving up to a Hamer 12-string, and I'd suggest bi-amping, with the high-end being overdriven(doesn't need to be extreme). You can use a guitar amp, the soundman can mic it up so it doesn't need to be a large, powerful amp.