Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

80's G&L's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kindablue, Feb 23, 2004.

1. kindablue

kindablue

Jun 15, 2003
    Well i'm primarily a guitar player who's recently switched over to bass mode.All i have currently for a bass is an 1986 G&L SB-1,could you guys survive on this being your only bass,or should i try to get me a real fender?

2. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Just in case you're not, post your G&L bass in the classifieds for an even trade for a Fender here and at the dudepit. See how fast it flies out of your hands.

3. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    G&L's are equal if not better than the equivalent Fender. An '86 SB-1 is a fine instrument, not to mention a good investment... the value of G&L's are going anything but down

4. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    It's a great axe man! I think they smoke most Fenders. A real Fender? these were designed in the ladder of Leo Fender's life years after he designed the original Fender basses if that tells you anything, most think they are better.

5. kindablue

kindablue

Jun 15, 2003
    Well cool,yeah i am pretty happy with it.As i take the bass more seriously i wanted to confirm i have the right instrument
    for gigging out etc.thanks for the input :)

6. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Yep, any G&L is a gig-worthy instrument (including the Tributes).

I've spent fairly long (for me) periods of time with an SB-2 (P-J pickups, skinnier neck) as my main bass - using only the P pickup so essentially a skinny necked SB-1. Now I'm back to an L-2000 as my #1 but would like to pick up another SB-2 someday (I'd actually rather have an SB-1 with a skinny neck but expect an SB-2 will be a lot easier to locate).

7. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    G&Ls really are better basses-- the quality is just what you'd expect from a hand made bass. They are all hand made and finished in the factory in Fullerton, CA.
    I have an '82 SB-1, a '91 L2K (with Leo's sig on the upper horn) and a '96 LB-100. Great basses.