1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

80s Peavey foundation help!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Zant, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Zant

Zant

Jan 1, 2017
    Does anyone out there know the truss rod nut size on a 84 Peavey foundation,it's a nut not a hex

2. jloftin1

jloftin1

Aug 7, 2009
    Carrollton, Ga
    Teacher and mesaplayer83 like this.
  3. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I had a "tube" wrench that came with mine but IIRC a thinwall 5/16" deep well socket also worked. I got one at Sears to fit my 1/4 square driver handle.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  4. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Yep, as said, 5/16" thin wall.

mesaplayer83 likes this.
  5. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I use the Gibson tool without a problem on my Peaveys.

mesaplayer83 likes this.
  6. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Same here

7. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    This works for some Foundations. Some 80s Foundations, not so much. The truss rod nut is sometimes too deeply recessed to be reached by a Gibson wrench.

abotaun likes this.
  8. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    On my 1984 Foundation, the Gobson wrench doesn’t work. I bought a cheap Stanley socket set at Walmart. The cheap thin wall socket was long enough and skinny enough to reach the nut.

Getting the socket out of the truss rod channel can be...interesting.

9. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    On those types of wrenches, I've found I can gain some additional depth by taking a punch and hammer, and clearing out the little "petals" of metal in the socket area left by manufacturing...

I bought a couple of these recently, and they worked just fine - but don't have the phillips screw driver end, though...

8mm 5/16 inch Truss Rod Box Wrench Spanner Repair Tool For Electric Guitar Gibso 191466916841 | eBay

10. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I’m not sure how to say this without sounding indelicate. Consider that a parental advisory warning.

I’ve never met another bass like my 1984 Foundation. I put the wrench in up to the shaft and still couldn’t reach the nut. :wideyed:

The truss rod nut is somewhere between the string nut and the first fret, and it is closer to the first fret. I’ve never seen anything else like it.

11. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    That is weird - I never saw anything like that, either...